LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

reop6780
|
I understand this is main point question, which is usually easy.

Still, I keep choosing answer A over E; E is the correct answer.

From the line 8, "but his originallity..." the passage advances with the explanation of Sembene's originality in relevance with West African culture.

I just feel that answer E is phrased to focus on "social and political issues" while the whole passages are about similarities with West African culture.

What makes answer E better answer than answer A?

Is answer A wrong becasue it did not mention "social and politicla issues" which are meant to be important to address as main point, which I do not recognize?

Or, Is answer A short of some elements to fully address Western Affrican culture; in short, can it be a better answer if answer A added "motifs" to "traditional archetypal..and open-ended plots" ?
 Lucas Moreau
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hello, reop,

These Main Point questions can get mighty specific, lol! The main problem with A is it talks about his "originality as a filmmaker"...seeing as he is explicitly drawing on traditional plots and character roles, I would say originality isn't his strongest suit. E is better because it speaks of what makes him "notable" as a filmmaker.

And also, yes, as you said, E talks about his use of these West African themes and motifs to perform social and political commentary. A is mostly correct, but not quite all-encompassing enough to be the Main Point.

Hope that helps,
Lucas Moreau
 reop6780
|
So, basically A is a little short of some points to be a main point.

I was confused with the sentence, "But his orginality as a filmmaker lies most strikingly in his having successfully adapted film" in the first paragraph (8-9).

I really thought the passage started with its main point mentioned in the first paragraph.

I guess A is a trap.

Thank you

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.