LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

maximbasu
|
Hi,

I chose D while the correct answer was A.
Where in the passage does the author suggest that the strawberries can contain both mites without damage?

Because it seemed to me that the strawberries were damaged by the CL mites.

Rgs,

Maxim
 maximbasu
|
Hi,
Could a Powerscore representative please answer this question,

Rgs,
Maxim
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Maxim,

If strawberry crops couldn't sustain both populations of mites, then the experiments conducted would be impossible. In fact, the whole passage wouldn't make much sense. As early as the first paragraph, the author describes how the predator mites keep cyclamen mites "from reaching dangerously high levels" (lines 13-14). As long as there is a balance between the two populations, the strawberry crops seem to be doing just fine.

Hope this helps, and sorry for the belated response.

Thanks,
 na02
|
Hi,

I think what got me to pick D was the first paragraph saying "Typhlo ... usually invade ... during the second year"
Is it the lack of certainty caused by "usually" that makes this answer wrong?

Thank you!
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi N!

The main problem with answer choice (D) is found in lines 9-10: cyclamen mites "do not reach significantly damaging levels until the plants' second year." Pesticides would not be "necessary to prevent significant damage during the first year" (as stated in answer choice (D)) because cyclamen mites don't cause significant damage until the second year. So yes, the Typhlodromus don't show up until the second year, but that's just in time to start preventing damage from those cyclamen mite pests!

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.