LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

HarryK
|
2019 Bible Pg. 342 Wing Tek Lum

Hi,

You seem to explain answer choice (D) of question #6 on this passage in the following way:
Assessment of his ancestral homeland tradition: It is necessary to retain this tradition
Assessment of the culture in which he is attempting to build a new identity: it is necessary to form a new cultural (Hawaiian) identity that is sensitive to the new environment.

If I am correct in interpreting your explanation in this way, I agree with you. But I think I found an alternative route to answering this question.

First assessment: Lum assesses the traditional poetry as being elitist.
Second assessment: Lum assesses the US culture to be focused on individual success, which can be detrimental to retaining a cultural tie with the tradition.

I think I can say that the traditional poetry is a part of the 'ancestral homeland tradition' and that US culture is used as a 'local culture' by the author in the last paragraph (as opposed to 'heritage'). Thus, I think this way of thinking might also lead us to choose answer choice (D).

I would appreciate your feedback on whether my way of thinking works to answer this question; and, if it does, whether it is more preferable or less preferable (or equally) to your way of going about this question.

Thank you,
Harry
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I think that the particular aspects of both homeland tradition and local culture are a bit narrow, Harry, but they are certainly a part of the larger picture here. Lum's look at homeland tradition is more than just pointing out the elitist elements of Chinese poetry, but includes ideas about common themes of family, identify, and history, cultural elements like the lunar celebration, and references to famous Chinese literary character. His investigation of new identity includes how immigrants shape and are shaped by the local culture, and acknowledging the dream of American culture those immigrants may hold. It seems that you have focused on just the negative aspects of both, and although it helped you select the correct answer it could have led you astray if the answers had been worded differently.

Don't be too narrow in your assessment, and focus on the question itself in the process. The author has a very positive view of Lum's poetry, so when we are asked for something the author would agree with, start with that general positive viewpoint as your guide.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.