LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

me2987a
|
I don't understand why C is correct. Where in the passage does the author talk about individual achievement?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Thanks for the question, me2987a! I think the best support for that answer can be found in the final lines of the passage, where the author says:
it also appears to caution that the strong cultural emphasis in the U.S. on individual drive and success that makes retaining a sense of homeland tradition difficult should be identified and responded to in ways that allow for a healthy new sense of identity to be formed.
It seems that this is at least enough support to consider answer C a contender, and given that none of the other answer choices have any support in the passage this answer should stand out as the best of the bunch.

If there was another answer that you were leaning towards, share with us which answer and what lines you referred to in order to find support for it. That's the way to select the best answer to questions like this one - sorting losers and contenders and then finding text to support your choice from among the contenders. If you cannot find text to support your choice, you shouldn't pick it, and should instead look for text that supports another of your contenders. Don't trust your memory of what you read, or make assumptions about what the author would say that aren't supported by the author's words!
 demk26
|
Hi PS,

Can we eliminate Answer (B) here because Lum never explicitly says that it is "necessary" to live away from the homeland? From my understanding, this discussion is merely in the event that you are living away from the homeland (Ex. Living in Hawaii). The only support in the text that I thought might be relevant here was the below:

"In the company of new Chinese immigrants, the speaker realizes that while ties to the homeland are comforting and necessary, it is equally important to have "a sense of new family" in this new land of Hawaii, and hence a new identity- one that is sensitive to its new environment."

Can we eliminate Answer (A) because Lum also never mentions "explaining" images in a poem? The only support in the text that I thought was relevant was the line that says: "The central image of a communal pot where each person chooses what she or he wishes to eat but shares with others the "sweet soup! spooned out at the end of the meal" is a hopeful one." But this doesn't really indicate that Lum advocates explaining images in a poem or feels that it is necessary for understanding.

I would very much appreciate your insights on these Contenders. Thank you!
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi demk26!

Yes, you can eliminate answer choice (B) because Lum says that ties to the homeland are necessary, but not that living away from the homeland is necessary.

And, yes, answer choice (A) can be eliminated because there is nothing in the passage that states that Lum thinks poetic images should be explained. If it isn't in the passage, we can't prove it in an answer choice!

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.