LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

LSAT1416
|
I'm struggling specifically with the logic behind having D as the correct answer. My issue comes from the use of "due to the diverse population". In my reading, the use of the phrase "been integral to its heterogeneity", the implications seems to be that the flux causes the population diversity, rather than the flux existing due to the population diversity.

Am I misinterpreting this statement, or looking at it from too narrow a scope?
 Francis O'Rourke
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi LSAT1416,

It is possible that the author was making a strong causal claim in lines 31-34. I do not think that this is the best reading however.

The statement "the flux ... has been integral to [Hawaii's] heterogeneity" could refer to the flux as being a part of the heterogeneity. It can also indicate that the flux is a necessary component or consequent of Hawaii's heterogeneity. Finally it can mean that the flux is one of the causes of Hawaii's heterogeneity. Answer choice (D) seems to pick out that second interpretation.
 PresidentLSAT
|
Hi,

I would like to clear of the difference between D and E.

The line was talking about two things: the first part of the sentence referred to culture that follows tradition. Relying on typical LSAT style passaging, "the flux" will refer to something opposite or different ABOUT the culture. The shift from discussing the culture to the attitudes towards the culture is why I eliminated E. It also seemed too broad by referring to immigrants overall. Then again, LSAT could say it's justified because, at the end of the day, they're still immigrants.

Please let me know if it's the right approach. Thank you
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Pres,

You're right, the "flux" is not in the attitudes of the immigrants but in the culture in which they'd embedded. It even says in the line references that it's a flux "within Hawaiian society". It's Hawaii, the "environment", and not the mental attitudes of the immigrants, that is in flux.

Robert Carroll
 lilima
|
Hi
I selected C over D. I didnt think D was the correct answer because the passage stated in the first paragraph that the island consisted of people from Asian or pacific island decent so the population was not diverse. Would you please let me know why this interpretation was incorrect?
Thank you
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
lilima,

The population is definitely diverse. Mention is made of that in the first paragraph ("multicultural") and second paragraph ("heterogeneity"). In fact, "Asian and Pacific island descent" is almost inherently a diverse description because of the many ethnicities and nationalities contained within that very broad category. In case there is any confusion about that, the author emphasizes that this population makes Hawaii diverse, not the opposite, by using the words I mentioned in my first sentence.

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.