LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Jenmstearns
|
I still don’t see where in the passage the correct answer appears. Certainly it is often implied that there is strong belief that group decisions are right, but I don’t see language that matches, mostly due to the word “strong” in the answer choice. I only see where the passage talks about how it is opinions lacking critical support or secretly skeptical that lead to a groupthink dynamic. I picked A because of line 47 (close mindedness to alternative viewpoints), but I didn’t really like that pick much either.
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Jen,

I see the first support at line 29, where the danger is not of concealing misgivings, but actually believing the group is right, and thus not thinking critically about it. The elements in line 45 and following are consistent with that. If a group succumbing to groupthink didn't involve thinking the group's decisions were right, there would be objections raised or objections secretly thought but not voiced. Yet groupthink involves, to a large extent, actually being convinced the group is right, not merely pretending to believe so.

Robert Carroll
 ntusss
|
Hi,

I'm confused about why (C) is wrong. I thought (C) could be supported by lines 44-52.
Is it because "high stress" and "illusions of invulnerability" have no causal relationship?

I'd appreciate any comments! Thanks.
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi ntusss!

You're exactly right: nothing in the passage tells us that working under unusually high stress directly causes illusions of invulnerability. In fact, the passage describes how groupthink results from "in-group pressures" but that's not actually quite the same as "working under unusually high stress." In-group pressures refers to the pressure to conform, which is different than working in high-stress situations. Remember to scrutinize those answer choices carefully and make sure you can fully prove them with the information you've been given in the passage!

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.