LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

brcibake
|
I do not understand why C was the correct answer. I was between A and B but had completely ruled out C. A made more sense to me because, in my opinion, it seemed very parallel to the structure of the passage.
Thank you
 nicholaspavic
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi brci,

Answer Option (A) is incorrect because the author tells us in the passage of the extenuating circumstances surrounding the cakewalk. Remember, the cakewalk may have been parodied at first and become more popular because European American stage performers parodying it. But also recall that this is a Diversity passage, so it is unlikely that the author will leave it just at that. In fact, she tells us that then it became even more popular of Walker parodying the parody by "refining" and "emphasizing its fundamental grace." That is the key element necessary to parallel in this Answer (C) and why it is correct. In other words, both Answer Options (A) and (B) parallels are limited only to the initial white European parody and therefore extremely limited in their parallels making (C) the superior choice here.

Thanks for the great question! :-D
 jwheeler
|
Is B incorrect because it talks about the popularity among young listeners and the parodies admired by older listeners? Are the two different groups key to eliminating this answer? I'm having trouble determining what distinguishes B from C.
 jwheeler
|
Another thought... would C be like saying the (cakewalk) became admired among Europeans partially because the procession/high-kicking/etc. were introduced to parody the Europeans dance styles/behavior?

So it's basically kind of ironic that they like it, when they were in fact being made fun of.
 Brook Miscoski
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Jwheeler,

In the passage, the cakewalk became popular with the oppressors despite that it parodied the oppressors. This would be more like old people enjoying youthful parodies of the oldies. B fails because it is the parodied group that must love the parody.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.