LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (E).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice.

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 ikim10
|
I originally had (A), and then changed my answer to (D) during my review. I don't see where in the passage it is implied that the cakewalk was one of the FIRST cultural forms to cross racial lines. I thought the passage was just stating it was one. I eliminated (E) purely because of the presence of the word "first." Can someone explain how we were supposed to deduce this?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
The evidence supporting answer E is found in the second paragraph, in these lines:
Ironically, while these modifications later enabled the cakewalk to appeal to European Americans and become one of the first cultural forms to cross the racial divide in North America, they were originally introduced with satiric
intent.
Since the question asks for something asserted in the passage, the correct answer must be something we can directly quote from the text. Answer E is the only one that meets that requirement! We don't want an answer that is merely implied or suggested, or one that seems like a reasonable inference. Search the text and find those words! (A keyword search might help in this case, and you'll be able to do that on test day by using a text box at the top of the page.)

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.