LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

kcho10
|
Hi,

I'm unsure why B is incorrect. I took 'commonly-agreed upon criterion' to refer to the fundamentals. Could someone explain how I can find grounds to eliminate B on test day? Thank you!
 Claire Horan
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
If "standard pricing pattern" means a pattern "that conforms to a commonly agreed-upon criterion," what is the commonly agreed-upon criterion in this case? A criterion is a principle by which something may be judged or decided. What principle mentioned in the passage determined the pricing pattern?

D is a better answer because the pricing pattern is standard in that, according to Garber, it "occurs for new varieties of flowers." The pattern is then explained in the paragraph, where new bulbs are in short supply and therefore yield a high price but drop in price when the variety becomes more plentiful. Because this paragraph describes the "standard pricing pattern," whereby new varieties go from high price when new to low price as the supply increases, this is a much better answer.
 marshallmg
|
I incorrectly chose answer E for this question. Could someone explain where E falls short?

Thank you!
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Marshall,

The problem with answer choice E is the term "exemplar," which indicates a particular (specific) thing that serves as an example of a broader phenomenon. The "standard pricing pattern" that is described in lines 39-47 is not a particular instance, a case of one specific kind of flower bulb market, but rather a collection of similarities that the author thinks recur in many different instances. Just keep in mind when the LSAT uses the term "example," "exemplar," or similar (particularly in a purpose/function question like this one), there must be a specific instance it refers to. That's why answer choice D is a better answer, because it broadens out to include "certain types of cases," rather than a reference to one single case.

Hope this helps!

Jeremy

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.