LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

JulesC
|
Hello,

For question 20 I chose E because I couldn't find the claim in the passage that stated that Kingston's use of oral techniques makes her work a part of the talk-story tradition. This question as a whole confused me.

Thanks,

Jules
 Claire Horan
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi JulesC,

Question 20 asks you to identify "the author’s specific purpose in detailing typical talk-story forms." In other words, why does the author start talking about talk-story forms at that point in the passage? Look at the paragraph referenced, and you will see that it begins with this topic sentence: "Kingston’s participation in the tradition of talk-story is evidenced in her book China Men, which utilizes forms typical of that genre and common to most oral cultures including..." What follows are examples of how Kingston uses the traditional Chinese talk-story forms. Paraphrasing this sentence, one understands that the author believes Kingston is part of the talk-story tradition, and that this can be shown through the examples of the common oral forms used in her book. That is very close to answer choice B.

Note also that test-makers were careful to specify "specific purpose," hinting that the right answer was not necessarily the main point of the passage as a whole. But even if you were attracted to choice E because it was more general, if you reread the first paragraph you'll see that the critics claim Kingston's work did not arise from a prior tradition, not that it should or shouldn't be viewed as literature.

Remember, first figure out what the question is asking, go back to the text to find clues, then prephrase, THEN look at the answer choices! :lol:

Happy studying!
 GoldCrono
|
I chose C here—I initially felt like answer choices B and C are really saying the same thing here.

Stepping back a bit I can see that choice C is a bit too general and B nails the specific purpose.
 Luke Haqq
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi GoldCrono!

Yes, glad you can see that (B) nails the purpose in the specific line references mentioned.

Regarding (C), it's also worth noting that the critics aren't really discussed around lines 43 to 51. The critics are mentioned in the first paragraph, whereas the line reference for this question directs one to the final paragraph. Since the critics aren't mentioned again in the final paragraph, this should be a compelling reason for eliminating answer choice (C).

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.