LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

akanshalsat
|
I'm a little confusedas to why E could not be the answer... Line 43 say it wasn't fully comprehensive: "...that was fully equal for women..."
 chian9010
|
I have the same question and would like to know why C is better than E
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
The problem with answer choice E is that it does not accurately describe what we were told in the passage. Starting around line 44, the author gives us some reason for why neither of the two proposals was adopted, saying that the failure to do so
bespeaks the immensity of the cultural and political obstacles to egalitarian education for women at the time
The cause of them being rejected was not that they were not comprehensive enough, as answer E describes, but that French society simply wasn't ready for such a big change, even after the Revolution. More comprehensive reforms would therefore likely also have been rejected as being more than society could have handled at the time.

It's true that the proposals were not adopted, and it is true that neither proposal was as comprehensive as the ones that came 90 or so years later. But the lack of comprehensiveness was not what caused them to be rejected at the time they were first proposed.
 BMM2021
|
Can answer C be explained a bit more? I picked B, which I know doesn't find any support in the passage. However, aside from C feeling like an implicit belief most people would share about the topic, I wasn't sure how the passage backed it up either.

Thanks
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
The last sentence of the first paragraph should be your focus here, BMM, for that's where the author defends those early attempts as being largely egalitarian, meaning they tried to be fair to all. That shows that the author viewed them favorably, even while some others complained about the missed opportunity. Altogether, that means the author is saying "look, they may not have fully succeeded, but they did at least try to do something good."

With that text as support, and that concept as your prephrase, answer C should look very attractive!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.