LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

akanshalsat
|
Hello! I got this right but other than getting rid of B and D as possible choices, I can't tell why E is better than A or C?
 Jay Donnell
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Akansha!

I'm gonna hop in and hope to shine a brighter light on what makes E so much better than A or C here.

There are two issues I have with answer choice A. The first issue, which is admittedly rather subtle, is that A focuses on the "Education in France during one historical period" whereas the passage itself and the correct response in E more aptly describes the opening section as discussing: "The nature of education for women in France during one historical period."

My bigger issue with A is the later portion of the answer, when it claims that the passage wraps up with "inconsistencies within each proposal (being) identified and lamented." Though the proposals fell short in that they din't have an immediate solution to the problem of the gender based inequities in French education in that period, this statement ignores all of the positive spin that the author took to the topic all the way down from line 46 to the end of the passage. The correct answer in E much more correctly describes the concluding section of the passage as how "the relationship between the proposals and eventual reform is indicated."

I personally find answer choice C less compelling in comparison with A, and certainly far short of what E provides. The passage never took the direction of claiming "why eventual change required less of a break with tradition." Instead, the second-to-last sentence of the passage instead shows that those earlier movements, though not immediately successful, played an integral role nearly a century later as the government used them to appeal to "a long philosophical, political, and pedagogical tradition" in order to implement the reforms.

I hope that helps clear up the distance between the Winner (E) and the Losers (A and C)!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.