LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=8566)

The correct answer choice is (E)

If L works on the same workpiece both on Tuesday and on Thursday, we need to modify our templates accordingly:
pt72_j14_g4_q22a.png
In either template, the workpiece on which L works on Tuesday and Thursday must be worked on by K on Wednesday. This is because L can only transfer her workpiece to K or M (third rule), but M cannot transfer back to L (M only transfers to J). So, according to Template 1, the sequence in which the employees must work is K-L-K-L, while in Template 2—the sequence is J-L-K-L:
pt72_j14_g4_q22b.png
These templates validate answer choice (E).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 AnnBar
|
Hello,

I was diagraming this set up as follows:

M— — T — W —— TH
J/K/L — L — M/K — L

I have looked at an explanation for this question but I was unable to understand why M was not considered in this diagram. Based on the rules, M does not have any restrictions (in regards to who it can "transfer to"). So, I assumed M could transfer to J /K/L. I was eventually able to deduce M has to pass of to J, when J is not on Monday since there is no other employee that can transfer to J. Nonetheless, that did not rule out M transferring to K/M/L.

Thanks,
AB
 Steven Palmer
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Ann,

First of all, this is a very strange and hard game. In order to get this question right, we needed to make a crucial inference at the start of the game, which is that M must give its piece to J. How do we know this? Well, we know that K and L cannot give to J, and there is only one other person left, which is M. (J cannot give to J, because our set up tells us that each person gives it to another person after working on it.

So, in the question at hand, if L is in working on the same piece on Tuesday and on Thursday:

__ L __ L
M Tu W Th

We know, based on rules, that L cannot give to J. That leaves M or K, as you wrote. However, M can only give to J (based on our inference), so we know that all that is left to receive from L and give to L is K.

Hope this helps!
Steven

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.