LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=8566)

The correct answer choice is (E)

This question asks what combination of transfers could occur on Tuesday. Note that each workpiece is transferred at the beginning of each workday, from the employee who worked on it the previous day to another one of the employees, who will work on it that day. So, if we are asked to identify what transfers could possibly occur on Tuesday, we need to identify a combination of transfers occurring from Monday to Tuesday.

First, let’s apply the rules to the answers just like we would solve a List question: any answer choice that violates a rule will be incorrect. This immediately shows that answer choice (C) is incorrect, because J cannot transfer to M (first rule). Second, use the templates to eliminate the remaining three incorrect answer choices:

Answer choice (A) is incorrect, because it is impossible to simultaneously transfer workpieces from J to K and from K to M. If we did that, then L would have no one to transfer her workpiece to, because L can only transfer to K or M (third rule).

Answer choice (B) is incorrect, because it is impossible to simultaneously transfer workpieces from J to L and from L to M. If we did that, then K would have no one to transfer her workpiece to, because K can only transfer to L or M (second rule).

Answer choice (D) is incorrect, because it is impossible to simultaneously transfer workpieces from K to L and from L to K. If we did that, then J would have no one to transfer her workpiece to, because J can only transfer to L or K (first rule).

Answer choice (E) is the correct answer choice, easily provable by reference to Template 1:

This question asks what combination of transfers could occur on Tuesday. Note that each workpiece is transferred at the beginning of each workday, from the employee who worked on it the previous day to another one of the employees, who will work on it that day. So, if we are asked to identify what transfers could possibly occur on Tuesday, we need to identify a combination of transfers occurring from Monday to Tuesday.

First, let’s apply the rules to the answers just like we would solve a List question: any answer choice that violates a rule will be incorrect. This immediately shows that answer choice (C) is incorrect, because J cannot transfer to M (first rule). Second, use the templates to eliminate the remaining three incorrect answer choices:

Answer choice (A) is incorrect, because it is impossible to simultaneously transfer workpieces from J to K and from K to M. If we did that, then L would have no one to transfer her workpiece to, because L can only transfer to K or M (third rule).

Answer choice (B) is incorrect, because it is impossible to simultaneously transfer workpieces from J to L and from L to M. If we did that, then K would have no one to transfer her workpiece to, because K can only transfer to L or M (second rule).

Answer choice (D) is incorrect, because it is impossible to simultaneously transfer workpieces from K to L and from L to K. If we did that, then J would have no one to transfer her workpiece to, because J can only transfer to L or K (first rule).

Answer choice (E) is the correct answer choice, easily provable by reference to Template 1:
pt72_j14_g4_q23.png
 sarah_student
|
Hi!

I have figured out the diagram for this game. However, I don't understand how to do question 23. Would someone be able to explain how I can figure out the answer? I'm not sure how I can go about plugging in the letters to create hypotheticals and then seeing if those work.

Best,

Sarah
 Jonathan Evans
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi, Sarah,

Good job sorting out the setup on this pattern game. This question tests whether you have made the preliminary deduction about where items can go during the first reassignment. Basically, you know from the rules that the following reassignments are NOT possible:
  • J to M
    K to J
    L to J
You should note immediately that this means that on Tuesday you MUST have the following reassingnments:

M to J
J to K OR J to L

So what's the way to work through this without just trying everything out? Check out the initial setup

J K/L

K L/M

L K/M

M J
M T

Okay you'll note that J's transfer is very restricted. She's the one who has a rule controlling her reassignment: no M! Also, the transfer to J is very restricted. J has a lot of requirements to meet.

So first up on a Could Be True question you're going to want to go to the less restricted items to begin with. Who are the two least restricted items? K and L

Check out answer choice D.

Well, this doesn't work because they're just switching to each other and at least one of them has to take M.

That only leaves answer choice E. Try it out:

J K

K L

L M

M J
M T

It works! We're in business. I hope this helps.
 sarah_student
|
Jonathan Evans wrote:
It works! We're in business. I hope this helps.

Jonathan, thanks so much for your help! I've got it now!
 Albertlyu
|
HI thanks for sharing this, may i ask if anyone could tell why the following is not acceptable by the rules? :
M T W TH
J K M J
K L K M
L M J L
M J L K

THANKS.
 Albertlyu
|
thanks never mind, I misread the question stem.
 hope
|
This question is to the ADMINISTRATOR WHO MADE THE FIRST POST and who used the words: "cannot simultaneously transfer". I don't get that at all. What do you mean?

If we are to start with Tuesday then:

I see A as being correct along with other choices as well.

A. Templates 1 & 2 last row: J - K - K - M follows the rules b/c K - L/M So why be concerned with L?

B. Templates 1 & 2 last row: J - L - L - M follows the rules so why be concerned with K?

C. This violation is clear.

D. Template 1 top row: K - L - L - K follows the rules so why be concerned with J?
Template 2 third row from top: K - L - L - K follows the rules so why be concerned with J?

E. To me this correct answer follows the same logic as A, B, and D so why is it the only one that is correct?
Template 1 top row K - L - L- M. But pursuant to the rules could not it have also been K - L - L - K?
Template 2 third row from top: could this not have been K - L - L -K as well?

Now, I'm starting each variable on Tuesday as stated by the scenario. Was I right to do that? Clearly, there is something I am not understanding or missing altogether.

If you can break down your response to bite sized baby food as much as possible, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

hope
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I'm not the one who wrote the original explanation, hope, but I believe I can help you! I think you are misunderstanding what the question is asking. The templates you referred to are about what can happen over the course of the entire week, Monday through Thursday. But the question is just about what can happen ON TUESDAY. Is there a case where on a Tuesday J can transfer their workpiece to K and, on the same day (simultaneously), K could transfer theirs to M? There is not, because if that happened then L would be unable to transfer their workpiece to anyone, and of course L must transfer their workpiece to someone else (either to K or to M, since L cannot transfer to J). Look at any given day in any of the templates, and you'll see that whenever J transfers to K, K must transfer to L on that day. It's not about what happens the NEXT day, but what combination of things could happen on THAT day. The key is in the question stem!
 emilyjmyer
|
Hi!

I was confused by this question stem. I know that a few posts have addressed the fact that the question is asking what can be transferred from Monday to Tuesday. I do not understand this. I thought the question was asking what could be transferred from Tuesday to Wednesday because it says what could be true about Tuesday.

Thanks!

Emily
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
There are no transfers from one day to the next, Emily. The transfers are between the employees at the beginning of each day, not between the days.

Picture it this way: it's Tuesday morning, and our four employees have all arrived at work. They go to their workstations and gather up the workpieces they worked on yesterday, and then they all come together in the middle of the shop (I always picture them gathered around a coffee machine, maybe with a box of donuts), and then, all at once, each of them hands their workpiece to someone else. It's like a little ballet move, or something like synchronized swimming, with each person passing something off and getting something new in its place. They all walk away with something they didn't have before.

Now, figure out how they can do that. How many ways can they pull this off, given that J will never transfer anything to M, and neither K nor L will ever transfer anything to J? J will have to get something from M or else walk away empty handed. At the same time J is getting something from M, J is passing their workpiece to K or else to L. K is passing theirs to either L or M. L is passing the thing they worked on yesterday to K or M. Somehow they make it work, and our job is to figure out how it can happen.

As it turns out, there are only two options! And the same thing will happen again on Wednesday, and then again on Thursday, each day having those same two options for how they can manage to do this complicated little dance of theirs.

Decipher the daily dance, and know that how they do it on one day has no effect on how they do it the next day. Every day is a new chance to choose whichever pattern they want!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.