LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

swimmergrl101
|
For question 8, why is E wrong?
Is it because it specifically says " ...this phenomenon is fully explained by the inclusive fitness theory?"
I know that some of the elements of this passage indicate that this theory doesn't explain everything, but I dont understand why A's wording is supposed to reveal the correct answer.
 Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi swimmergrl101,

Keep in mind here that we're looking for the main point of the passage. You're right about some of the problems with E; great job spotting that! The other problem, though - and this one is even bigger - is that E just doesn't describe the main point. Ask yourself, why did the author write this passage; what was he or she trying to convey? A does a much better job of summarizing that.
 jaclyn.s
|
Hi, I was between A and B for this question. I initially chose A and then switched last second to B. I am not sure why B is wrong. My thought process was that there are different ways (i.e. mechanisms) in which species utilize kin recognition and different explanations (i.e. purposes) for kin recognition. Is it wrong because of the word "various"? That word did give me pause because the author really only went into detail on the tadpoles and the tiger salamanders.

Can someone please confirm why B is incorrect?
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Jacyln,

Just a quick note before I answer your question directly: most main points are located at either the end of the first paragraph, the last paragraph, or as a synthesis of both. Here, we have the latter, where the close relative hypothesis serves as a causal explanation for some instances of helping close kin reproduce, but not for all. (A) represents this synthesis of the information in the first and last paragraphs perfectly.

(B) fails in that it doesn't deal at all with the actual issue in the passage, which is whether the theory actually explains animal reproductive behaviors or not. How varied the mechanisms that enable species to recognize their close kin only serves as background information as to the fundamental question of why these mechanisms exist and whether this particular hypothesis answers that question.

Hope this clears things up!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.