LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

sarae
|
Why is answer choice E incorrect? Is it because it's backwards? Instead of writing original stories about contemporary Irish life, it should be writing stories about contemporary Irish life about original stories?

please let me know if that's correct! thanks!
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
sarae wrote:Why is answer choice E incorrect? Is it because it's backwards? Instead of writing original stories about contemporary Irish life, it should be writing stories about contemporary Irish life about original stories?

please let me know if that's correct! thanks!
Hello sarae,

I can't decipher fully your statement "it should be writing stories about contemporary Irish life about original stories" above, but in any case: D discusses recycling old folktales (as Tutuola tends to do), but E is about writing *original* stories, which is not the same as reusing an ancient folktale.

Hope that helps,
David
 sarae
|
oh ok got it! thanks
 J1445
|
Hi there,

I chose E on this question but I cannot exactly pinpoint why B-D are wrong. I ended up choosing E, because the omniscient narrator is "perhaps [the] most revealing" in proving Tutuola is a teller of folktales and the other options are possible but not necessary. I applied this more specifically to choose between D and E. Not sure that is the correct approach. I could really use a breakdown of why B-D are wrong and E is correct. Thank you!
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi J1445!

First, just to be clear, the correct answer to this question is answer choice (D). The support for (D) is in lines 45-47 "he embellishes familiar tales with personal interpretations or by transferring them to modern settings."

Answer choice (E) is incorrect because it states "utilizing an omniscient narrator in telling original stories." Tutuola did not tell original stories, he retold folktales.

Answer choice (B) is incorrect because it's basically the reverse of what Tutuola does--he doesn't recreate literary style within a purely oral art form. He recreates an oral art form within the literary style.

Answer choice (C) is incorrect because the passage never talks about Tutuola combining characters from different folklore traditions to tell a story about modern life.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey
 cinder.ella
|
I was stuck between A and D and ended up choosing A. Is A wrong because it is opposite of what the correct answer is trying to mention?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Exactly, cinder.ella! Tutuola isn't applying the conventions of novels at all, but is using the conventions of folktales in writing what may, to some, appear to be a novel.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.