LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

ataraxia10
|
I chose D over B. Is D incorrect because the main idea is fractal geometry, not the Koch curve?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I think there is a bigger problem with answer D than its mention of the Koch curve, ataraxia10. Is it true that fractal geometry does not rely on theorems? I don't see that in the passage, and in any event that doesn't really seem to be what the passage is all about. Is the Main Point that fractal geometry is particularly useful in technological contexts? I didn't see that in the passage either.

The correct answer here should be a good match for your prephrase. What did you think the passage was all about, and what was the author trying to show us? Having that in mind, in your own words, before going to the answers will ensure that you don't fall for answers that are either untrue, like answer D, or true but nonetheless wrong because they do not capture the main point of the passage.

I could share my prephrase with you, but I'd rather hear yours first. Did you prephrase this, and if so, what did you come up with? Tell us that, and we'll see if you're on the right path. If not, we'll help you get there.
 ataraxia10
|
Hi Adam,

I marked lines 8-10 and 40-43 as "MP." My paraphrase was "Using self-similarity, the Koch curve provides some insight into fractal geometry. This allowed fractal geometry to be considered as a new language for describing complex natural and mathematical forms."

I guess in hindsight, that little part about "because it does not rely on theorems" is unsupported by the text. I think I may have rushed and didn't consider the implications of every word in choice D...?

Thank you for your help :)
 desiboy96
|
Hey PS, so I did this question and was down between B and C. I picked C which is wrong because it's too narrow however, I'm still confused about why B is correct. To me choice B seems to focus on where the mathematicians in the final paragraph might disagree and not on THE AUTHOR'S main point.

I was just wondering where I went wrong with my reasoning in tackling this question and was hoping you could help so I don't repeat it. Also, in case you are wondering, my prephrase matched what choice C said more.

Thank you :)
 atierney
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Desiboy,

Oh, these main point questions, eh? It's definitely important to get the main idea down via prephrase, but these questions themselves are more art than probably anything else on the exam, so reliance on said prephrase will probably not be the most effective means of answering these questions for accuracy. Given this, the best approach is one of eliminating wrong answers.

For this particular question, you've identified, precisely, why C is wrong. It's simply too narrow, right? There's much more to the story than simply self-similarity, even though we were treated to an entire paragraph and it is a common feature of fractals themselves (which the actual subject of the passage, Fractal Geometry, takes to studying). So, because C is too narrow, like you said, we can eliminate it as an answer choice.

Having eliminated C, the next question is, well, which answer is correct? And for this, B is indeed the best answer, as it really cohesively ties together all the ideas mentioned in the passage. We get the idea about the generation of complex forms (the fractals themselves, like the Koch Curve); we get the idea about public intrigue (line 37), and finally, we get the idea of the reservations by the "hardcore" mathematicians about fractal geometry's "lack of rigor," (the final 10 lines or so).

For this passage, I will say, there were multiple sometimes seemingly disparate ideas being thrown at the reader. You may not have even heard of fractal geometry, as I'm sure is the case for quite a few Prelaw majors taking the LSAT. Given this, it's important to construe the main point as broad as possible, so that you are able tie together all the points.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.