LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Nina
|
After I knew that answer E is the correct answer, i tried to find clues in both passages as following:
Passage A:line5
"not depicting her characters' emotions directly..."
Passage B: lines 41-43
"not to focus on ... direct psychological characterization..."
Are those the correct clues for choosing E?

As for answer D, the one i chose, do we have direct evidence in the passage to eliminate it, or is it incorrect because hasn't been explicitly mentioned in both passage?

Many thanks!
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
This is an interesting question, asking for the choice that the both authors agree would not show up in Cather's work. As you point out, both authors note that Cather would not spell out a psychological evaluation, so choice E is a winner.

As for answer choice D, you are correct--since this use of quotation marks was not mentioned specifically by both author's, we have nothing to confirm such agreement between the authors (that Cather would avoid it).

I hope that's helpful! Let me know whether that clears up this one--thanks!

~Steve
 Nina
|
Thank you very much, Steve! It's clear to me now :)
 ashpine17
|
i was debating between c and e; what's the matter with c? deosn't the passage say cather uses salient details? i thought perhaps desribing these things like exressions was an example of her showing, not teling
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
You may be thinking about this question the wrong way, ashpine. Where in Passage A is there evidence that Cather would not describe these external details of a character? Where in Passage B is there evidence that she would not do that?

You'll find none in either passage. Maybe she would include these details, and maybe not, but there is nothing in the text of either passage to suggest that she would not, and that's what makes it a wrong answer.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.