LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Nina
|
I eliminated the correct answer D because i was not quite sure about whether "have profited" is a correct expression. Since i thought the mutual profit between science and humanism will only be realized in "scientific humanism", which has not quite existed yet. I guess i was wrong. Do we choose D because, in fact, the mutual profit between these two fields does exist, but only hasn't been realized by people?

and also, why is answer B incorrect?

Many thanks!
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
On line 46, the author specifies that "the humanities in fact profit from attempts at controlled evaluation."

Let me know whether that clears that one up--thanks!

~Steve
 Nina
|
All clear! Thanks!
 jessamynlockard
|
Why is answer choice A wrong?
 Francis O'Rourke
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Jessa!

Answer choice (A) states that scientific humanism is basically using scientific "description and explanation" in the humanities. The phrase "from science to the humanities" is important here.

This characterization presents scientific humanism as an attempt to inject science into the humanities. The passage however presents scientific humanism as more of an equal or bi-directional blending of the two disciplines. According to lines 39-40, it attempts "to combine the common elements of both disciplines." The scientific humanism described in the passage is not an effort to correct the humanities, but rather an effort to improve both science and the humanities.

I hope that that answers your question. If you are still unsure about this one, it would be helpful to us in answering your question to hear where you found support for answer choice (A).
 Relaxo
|
Hi,

in line 44 is says: 'In achieving this understanding ,...'

So I thought that once that understanding between humanities and sciences is achieved, then sciences won't in fact depend exclusively on data and humanities in fact will then be profiting from attempts at controlled evaluation.

It looks like I misinterpreted the part 'In achieving this understanding' as something that happens in the future?

Where does the text indicate that humanities currently or in the past HAS profited from this methodology?

Thanks
 Beth Hayden
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Relaxo,

The understanding that the author is talking about is of people and the world, not of science understanding humanities and vice versa. You can see that in the preceding sentence on lines 41-44. Both disciplines attempt to understand people, but take different approaches to doing so.

Then on lines 46-47, the author says that the humanities "profit from attempts at controlled evaluation." The language about methods used primarily by scientists in answer choice D refers to the controlled evaluation.

Hope that helps!
Beth
 ashpine17
|
i took out D because of primarily :( why is that bad? it only says scientsits use this not that it primarily was for them and this is a must be true so there's less wiggle room
 Jeff Wren
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi ashpine,

This question is asking for the answer with which the author would most likely agree. What this means in a practical sense is that the correct answer may not appear verbatim in the passage, but captures an idea that is expressed/conveyed in the passage.

It's helpful to zoom out and consider the big picture/main point of the passage before checking the answers. The main point of the passage is that "a synthesis of science and the humanities is possible and much-needed" as Answer E of question 6 (about the main idea of the passage) states. In other words, the humanities should borrow methods from science and science should incorporate aspects of the humanities into science.

Answer D is based on the statement in lines 46-47 that "the humanities in fact profit from attempts at controlled evaluation." In the context of the passage, controlled evaluation is a feature of science, not humanities. So it's reasonable to conclude that the author would agree with this answer choice. If not, it would seriously undermine the author's argument.

While it's good to note the word "primarily" in this answer, that would not be a valid reason to rule this answer out. Answer D is provides the statement that the author would most likely agree with out of these choices.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.