LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=10965)

The correct answer choice is (C)

This question asks you to identify a statement about the Teatro Campesino for which there is sufficient support in the passage. Once again, passage organization is key: the formation of the Teatro Campesino was discussed in the second paragraph, which is likely to be particularly helpful in eliminating answer choices that cannot be proven with the information provided. That said, do not neglect to refer to other sections of the text should specific concepts require you to do so.

Answer choice (A): Whether the unionizing efforts of the Teatro Campesino succeeded in winning the acceptance of farm owners in California remains unknown.

Answer choice (B): The Teatro Campesino included farm laborers, but no mention is made of other individuals who, like Valdez, had belonged to the San Francisco Mime Troupe. If you notated the name of the troupe, you can quickly refer back to lines 29-30 to ensure that no mention is made of such individuals.

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice. In lines 5-8, the author describes the earliest efforts of the United Farm Workers Union to achieve international recognition (if you notated “United Farm Workers Union,” this would be an easy reference to make). Since the Teatro Campesino was not formed until 1965, it could not have played a major role in these unionizing efforts. Yes, this is a tricky inference to make, because it requires you to connect two disparate facts. As with any historical passage, however, understanding of chronology is key. Always notate dates: they are useful, but can also be confusing so make sure you are careful to match the dates given to the correct event.

Answer choice (D): Hopefully, you were able to eliminate this answer choice relatively quickly, as the language in which the first performances were given (or any subsequent changes to that language) was never discussed.

Answer choice (E): Whether Mexican critics praised the Teatro Campesino is unclear, and no information is furnished to substantiate that claim.
 Nina
|
I dont' quite understand how can we infer answer D from this passage. just because the name of the theater is spanish? what if one, like me, doesn't recognize that the name is spanish, is there any other way to help discern the correct answer?

and, since i chose answer A (because i eliminated answer D at first), is A incorrect because of the wording "a few", or, is that because we cannot infer "whether workers eventually won the acceptance of farm owners in California" at all? (but they did get growers to sign union contracts)

Many thanks!
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Nina,

In the first paragraph, the author sets up a basic timeline that's sufficient to answer this question: By 1965 the United Farm Workers had already gained international recognition, having been politically active since the early 60s. Since 1965 was also the year that Teatro Campesino was opened, there is no way that it could have played a role in the earlier efforts of the United Farm Workers.

Let me know whether that clears that one up--thanks!

~Steve

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.