LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=10965)

The correct answer choice is (B)

Due to the general nature of this question, the method of elimination is likely to prove useful—any answer choice that cannot be proven by the passage will be incorrect. Such questions have the potential of being especially time-consuming: if you are down to the last eight minutes in this section, you may be better off skipping this question and moving on to the last passage.

Answer choice (A): The discussion of carpas in the third paragraph makes no mention of them being widely analyzed by both U.S. and Mexican theater historians. Carpas had flourished in the border communities of Mexico and the U.S., but their critical reception remains unknown.

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice. In lines 31-33, the author remarks that the acto had become the “quintessential form of Chicano theater in the 1960s.” Actos, as they are described in the second paragraph, are skits and sketches that aim to ridicule (line 24), satirize the opposition (line 36), and “suggest a solution to the problems exposed in brief comic statement(s)” (lines 34-35). It is not unreasonable to conclude, therefore, that comedy—in the form of actos—was a prominent feature of Chicano theater in the 1960s.

Answer choice (C): Just because the actos have substantial cultural links to the tradition of the carpas does not mean that Valdez purposefully attempted to recreate elements of the carpas. This is not an inference we can make given the information presented in the third paragraph of the passage.

Answer choice (D): The earliest actos were clearly improvisational (line 25), as they were based on participants’ personal experiences (line 38). Valdez may have directed them, but he did not compose their scripts.

Answer choice (E): Hopefully you were able to eliminate this answer choice relatively quickly, because no mention is made of Valdez’s subsequent contributions to theater.
 lanereuden
|
Just because Valdez used comedy does not mean all of Chicano artists did. This answer seems extreme. I would chose D because all the productions seem to result from unique experiences that farmers had being abused
 LakeShow
|
lanereuden, I think it's B because we're told Valdez and Teatro Campesino initiated Chicano theater in the 1960s (lines 12-14) and they contained comedy (line 35 + surroundings). Answer choice B limits itself to the 1960s as well. I was also between B and D but ruled out D because we're never told Valdez wrote scripts for actos, or that they even had scripts (he sounded like more a director and organizer). Seems like a good case of the "best" answer rather than a perfect one, which I've noticed is often the case on the hardest questions in RC and LR.
 lanereuden
|
Mscalzo11–What do you mean by best v perfect?
 LakeShow
|
Sometimes the credited answer choice is not perfect or clearly the only one that can be right. Rather, at times, the correct answer is just the one that is better than all the others. I was just reviewing PT 73 today and LR2, Q23 is another example of this where the correct answer just barely strengthened the argument so it was hard to spot: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=6754. You could also make the argument that for that Q the correct answer choice could also be found by process of elimination but clearly some of the other answer choices there attracted people as well (according to PowerScore's data only 26% of people correctly picked A, 36% chose D, 17% B, 11% C, and 5% E).
 lanereuden
|
Yeah I have done that question—it threw me for a loop first time around

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.