LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=10960)

The correct answer choice is (A)

Based on the discussion of passage Differences above, we can create a general prephrase to answer this question: The main difference between the two passages is that, while Passage A focuses exclusively on honeybee communication, Passage B has a broader scope. This prephrase agrees with answer choice (A), which is correct.

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice. See discussion above.

Answer choice (B): This answer choice is incorrect, because both authors discuss studies conducted on animal communication. Given that the studies amount to “evidence” adduced by scientists in support of their claims, it is incorrect to suggest that Passage B does not discuss such evidence.

Answer choice (C): Passage B is not entirely about recent theories of animal communication, because its author mentions von Frisch, Wenner, and Gould, all of whom are part of the historic development of theories of honeybee communication (as discussed in Passage A).

Answer choice (D): Neither author is concerned with explaining the distinction between symbolic and nonsymbolic animal communication, and only Passage B alludes to such a difference in the first paragraph (lines 35-38).

Answer choice (E): Passage B might have a broader scope than Passage A; however, the author of Passage B does not seek to gain insight into human communication. This is entirely outside the scope of Passage B.
 15veries
|
Hi,

So I did choose (A), but wonder what "other forms" are in (A)...
I actually thought passage A also talk about "other forms" (smell etc) so at first I kind of hesitated to choose this answer choice.
Can I just make sure what "other forms" refer to?

Thanks
 Kristina Moen
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hello 15veries,

Here, "other forms of animal communication" is in contrast to "honeybee communication." Thus, "other forms" is referring to other animals besides the honeybees.

Passage A talks about various types of communication (smell, hearing, dance, etc.) but it focuses exclusively on the honeybee. It answers the question "How do honeybees communicate?"

Passage B uses honeybees as an example of how animals communicate symbolically. It also uses vervet monkeys as an example of how animals communicate symbolically. It answers the question "How do animals communicate symbolically?"

This approach will help with Question 12 as well.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.