LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

arabon66
|
When I got to this question, I automatically went to paragraph 3 and tried to look for the answer, but couldn't figure it out.

Could anyone give me an explanation to why (B) is correct?

Thank you!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Arabon,

Thanks for the question. The question you are looking at is really a Parallel Reasoning question. In this case, you want to find the parallel for the approach of the mainstream historians. So, what was that approach and where can we find it described?

Let's answer the second question first. The first lines of the passage set up a contrast between African America historians and mainstream US historians. Thus, we can consider the mainstreamers approach as different and to a great extent opposite that of the African America historians. And, as you note, in the third paragraph there is an important discussion of the mainstream approach, and this discussion ultimately provides us with enough information to answer the question.

In that third paragraph, the mainstream approach is described as rooted in an environment where the nation was being glorified (L28), there was a focus on the nation as dominant (L29), and new histories were being created about the "inevitability" (L33) of nations and their mythology. This "nationalist" approach, then, is one centered on the nation and one that focuses on the inherent greatness of the nation, both in its dominance and background.

Turning to question #27, the test makers would say that answer choice (B) is correct because it reflects the nationalistic idea of innate greatness and achievement that is referenced in the early part of the third paragraph.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 arabon66
|
Dave,

Thank you very much for your thorough explanation! I now understand why (B) is the correct answer.
 Nina
|
I was not quite sure what is the approach to history taken by mainstream US historians. I only knew that the mainstream historians are nationalism, and after i knew answer B is correct I guess it is because answer B reflects a kind of "self-determination", which is one of the characteristics of nationalism. But i can i find clues in the passage that can lead to the correct answer?

Many thanks!
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Nina,

In that one, point that the author was making was that "history," as you said, was relayed with a nationalistic approach, prompting "new myths about the inevitability of nations..."

The point, as you said, is that the histories were leading, presuming the end to have been predestined. This is why answer choice B is correct.

On another note, when are you planning to take the test? how else have you been preparing? Let me know--thanks!

~Steve
 Nina
|
hey Steve,

Thank you very much for your response!

I probably take the test in December. Right now i'm mainly doing PTs, haven't thought about other things. Do you have some suggestions?

Many thanks!
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Nina,

Have you thought about getting any books or taking any type of course?
 moshei24
|
Hi, it's not really clear to me why the answer is (B) in this question. Can you explain to me, please?

I feel like the parallel questions in RC tend to be extremely difficult if you don't have a complete grasp on the passage. Do you have any advice on how to approach this type of question in that situation?

Thanks!
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Moshe,

The approach referenced here is discussed in the second paragraph, where the author discusses the nationalist approach that sought to glorify the nation, creating myths about the inevitability of nations, asserting that nations were predestined.

Answer choice B reflects the same approach, handling a subject as though her eventual success was her destiny, the inevitable result of innate talent.

I hope that's helpful--let me know--thanks!

~Steve
 moshei24
|
Thank you.

Do you have any advice about my second question?

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.