LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

JSLSAT
|
Hi PowerScore,

I see now how A is a perfect summation of the second paragraph, but I'm trying to lock down how D is incorrect. Is that because they didn't present emigration as a true "alternative to fighting"? They don't mention conflict at all, but they do mention the advocation of emigration.

Thanks!
Jonathan
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
D is incorrect for a more basic reason than you've explored, John - it's because establishing that point is not the main purpose of the paragraph, but just one idea in a larger context. The question is not just asking about what was in the paragraph, or what it said, but what role it played overall in the passage. Why was it there? What function did it primarily set out to serve? It was there as a follow-up to the statement in the first paragraph that there were "several reasons" certain historians adopted a transnational perspective. Just look at how the second paragraph begins - "First, there was..." This should make clear that this paragraph is part of a larger list of reasons for the perspective adopted by those historians. It exists to help explain that position.

If D had said only that some leaders advocated emigration, it still would be the wrong answer, because establishing that was not the main purpose (as distinct from the main point) of that paragraph.

The main purpose of a paragraph is more than what it said, but why it said it and what role it played. It's like a Method of Reasoning - Argument Part question - it's not about the details in the paragraph, but about its place in the overall structure.

I hope that makes it clear. If not, please follow up with us.
 JSLSAT
|
Very helpful - thank you!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.