LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=14461)

The correct answer choice is (E)

This question asks us to identify the structure of the second paragraph. In many ways, this question
is similar to Method of Reasoning questions in the Logical Reasoning section, and you should
attempt to “match” the answer choices to what you already know occurred in the second paragraph
of the passage. Read closely—the incorrect answer choices often contain some elements that can be
matched, but also contain new information for which there is no support in the passage.

Answer choice (A): This is a classic half-right, half-wrong answer choice. Although the second
paragraph does consider several possible explanations for the differences between Jewett’s work and
the domestic novels, the author never suggested that any attempt at explanation would be impossible,
or that it would do violence to the unity of a phenomenon.

Answer choice (B): This is another half-right, half-wrong answer choice. Indeed, the author provides
reasons for preferring one explanatory hypothesis to another: the differences between Jewett and the
domestic novelists of the 1850s are the result of a fundamentally different conception of fiction, not
just the historical transformations described in lines 22-24. However, there is no evidence suggesting
that these explanations are incompatible with each other. The author acknowledges that historical
factors may help to explain the differences between Jewett and her predecessors (line 25), but
proceeds to defend an alternative explanation seen as more fundamental.

Remember—Organization questions belong to the Must Be True family of questions, requiring you
to provide textual evidence supporting each and every element in the correct answer.

Answer choice (C): This is an Opposite answer, since the explanatory hypotheses presented are
clearly distinct from one another.

Answer choice (D): The third paragraph elaborates upon the argument presented in the second
paragraph; it does not reject it.

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice. The author mentions the historical
transformations in lines 22-24, giving them a mildly favorable comment (“such factors may help to
explain the differences” [lines 24-25]). The remainder of the second paragraph presents the differing
conceptions of fiction held by Jewett and the domestic novelists as another, more fundamental
explanation for the difference between their works.
 jlam061695
|
Can you explain why the answer is E for #26 on the RC section in PT 62? The reason why I did not choose E was because it says "mentions a number of explanatory hypotheses" and I was under the impression that there were only two major explanatory hypotheses (domestic novelists v. Jewett). Also, where is the support for the statement that the author "advocates and elaborates another explanations that the author considers to be more fundamental"?
 Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi jlam,

The hypotheses here are migration of rural young and increasing secularization; seems like "a number" should be more than 2, but it doesn't have to be, and here, it isn't.

The author then says those factors might "help explain," which is mildly favorable, before advocating and elaborating on different conceptions of fiction as the real explanation. I hope that helps!
 deck1134
|
Hi PowerScore Staff,

Is there a way to think about answer E vs C? I eliminated E immediately because a "number" has cropped up in the past to mean more than just a few. Can I assume that it always means 2? Thanks!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
The key difference between answer C and E here, Deck, has nothing to do with "several" vs "a number" (both of which I typically interpret to mean three or more, so I find both of them to be less than perfect here), but rather that answer C goes off the rails when it says that the author argues that those other hypotheses, however many there are, are "not really distinct from one another". That didn't happen in this passage! The author never said that those other hypotheses are actually the same as each other, maybe just explained in different ways but ultimately saying the same thing. Also, answer C never gets us to the part where the author offers another hypothesis, and so that answer is incomplete.

I'm not pleased with "a number" here when there are only two, but as always I remind myself that I don't need a perfect or accurate answer, but only (as per the stem) the most accurate answer (of the five choices presented). E is much better than C because of the crucial weaknesses in C described above.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.