LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=7945)

The correct answer choice is (B)

This Passage Commonality question asks us to identify evidence mentioned in both passages in
support of the prevailing view that carbohydrate consumption causes dental caries. Items appearing
in only one of the passages are common traps in such questions; the correct answer must describe
evidence mentioned in both passages.

Once again, a thorough understanding of passage organization allows for quick access to the
information necessary to attack Concept Reference questions. Recall that the second paragraph
in each passage focuses on the research findings that establish a link between carbohydrate
consumption and caries. Since research findings are often used as evidence to support various
viewpoints, we can use this location element to prove the correct answer to this question.

Answer choice (A): The effect of consuming highly processed foods on caries formation is only
discussed in the context of early nonagricultural populations in western North America (lines 25-29).
Consumption of highly processed foods is never addressed in Passage B.

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice. Although some nonagricultural populations,
such as the Hopi, do exhibit high caries rates, both passages mention the relatively low incidence of
caries among nonagricultural people as evidence suggesting that carbohydrate consumption results in
caries formation (lines 13-22 in Passage A; lines 41-42 in Passage B).

Answer choice (C): The effect of fiber and grit on caries formation was only discussed in Passage
B, not Passage A (lines 47-50). Items appearing in only one of the passages are common traps in
Passage Commonality questions.

Answer choice (D): This answer choice mixes elements from both passages, but appears in neither
passage. Although both the Hopi and the Ban Chiang populations consumed wild plants, there is no
evidence that such consumption affected their tooth wear. Furthermore, recall that Passage A never
mentioned the role of tooth wear on caries formation (only Passage B did), making answer choice
(D) relatively easy to eliminate.

Answer choice (E): The effect of agricultural intensification on overall human health was only
mentioned in Passage B, not Passage A (line 40).
 frk215
|
Hey folks! I'm having trouble understanding how exactly e is wrong. I thought that e was supported by passage a because it specifically mentions "the greater a population’s dependence on agriculture is, the higher its rate of caries formation will be."

Is a greater population dependence on agriculture not the same thing as agricultural intensification? This seemed like a simple re-phrasing to me. Then again I didn't really have a valid reason to eliminate b— they seemed like two sides of the same coin. More agriculture = more caries .... less agriculture = less caries
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi frk,

Passage A talks about dental caries, but does not address overall health as answer choice (E) would require. From Passage A, we can't determine anything about overall health. Did you see something connecting agriculture to overall health in Passage A?
 frk215
|
I see! I put all my focus onto the first part, but not on the second i.e. overall health. Thank you for the help! :)

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.