LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=14432)

The correct answer choice is (C)

For this question, we need to consider which of the following five questions can be answered using
the information provided in the passage. Often the most efficient approach to this sort of question is
to review the choices and quickly eliminate any that cannot be answered using the information in the
passage. Then examine the remaining responses more closely.

Answer choice (A): From the last paragraph, we know that lichens exist in a diverse range of
conditions that need to be factored into any calibration of lichen grown rates. However, the precise
method for measuring lichen growth rates under such conditions is unclear. Since this question
cannot be answered with the information provided, this answer choice is incorrect.

Answer choice (B): From the last paragraph, we know that the intensity of the radiation striking
Earth’s upper atmosphere affects the amount of carbon 14 contained in the environment. The precise
method for determining the intensity of this radiation is never discussed. Therefore, this answer
choice is incorrect.

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer. In line 57, Bull and Brandon give examples of
some of the conditions that encourage lichens to grow at a more rapid rate than usual (shade and
wind). By knowing exactly where this information appears, it is relatively easy to verify that there is
sufficient information to answer this question. Therefore, answer choice (C) is correct.

Answer choice (D): The use of lichenometry is discussed in the second paragraph of the
passage, which provides no information as to the approximate date of the earliest earthquake that
lichenometry has been used to identify. From the last paragraph we know that lichenometry is best
used for earthquakes that occurred within the last 500 years. This does not, however, mean that the
earliest earthquake identified by the use of lichenometry occurred 500 years ago.

Answer choice (E): Although the techniques used in radiocarbon dating may well be applicable in
areas other than studying past earthquakes, no such applications were discussed in this passage. Be
careful not to rely on your own knowledge of the topic when answering Must Be True questions.
 dillonroseen
|
Hi,

I narrowed my answer choices to C & E for this question. I clearly see how answer choice C is the right answer given the text from lines 57 - 58. However, I thought that the following quote from lines 11 - 14 could support E as the correct answer:

"These data can show the location and frequency of past earthquakes and provide hints about the likelihood and location of future eathquakes."

Given this, it would seem like the techniques involved in radiocarbon dating could be used in a different way, other than simply studying past earthquakes: namely, providing hints about the likelihood and location of FUTURE earthquakes.

Can you explain why answer choice E is incorrect? Thanks!
 Ricky_Hutchens
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi dillion,

While I think you can make a case that the passage does provide an answer to E, I think the passage is clearly more helpful in answering the question in C. Lines 57-58 give specifics on what makes lichens grow more rapidly, where as lines 11-14 mentions the likelihood of future earthquakes almost in passing. Plus, that sentence indicates that it is only by studying past earthquakes that you can determine the likelihood of future earthquakes, so it is still using radiocarbon dating to study past earthquakes. Nowhere in the passage does it mention using radiocarbon dating to studying anything other than past earthquakes.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.