LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=14395)

The correct answer choice is (B)

For this question, we need to consider which of the following five questions can be answered using the information provided in both passages. Often the most efficient approach to this sort of question is to review the choices and quickly eliminate any that cannot be answered using the information in either passage. Then examine the remaining responses more closely. Although the answer to this Passage Commonality question is difficult to prephrase, it must pass the Fact Test, i.e. both passages will provide sufficient information to answer only one of the questions presented in the answer choices.

Answer choice (A): Neither author discusses the most serious flaws found in recent historical scholarship.

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice. To the author of passage A, avoiding bias requires an allegiance to objective historical truth (lines 22-24). To the author of passage B, avoiding bias requires “self-discipline” (lines 29-32).

Answer choice (C): Neither author discusses how the ideal of objectivity first developed.

Answer choice (D): Although the author of passage A implies that the scholarship produced by relativist historians is potentially suspect (lines 11-15), the author of passage B does not discuss relativism.

Answer choice (E): Neither author discusses why the prevailing interpretations of past events change from one era to the next: they merely disagree over the value ascribed to such interpretations.
 angelsfan0055
|
Is "distinct from propaganda" in the first sentence of passage B taken to mean avoiding bias?

This question confused me and I picked C which I didn't love but ultimately chose it because I thought Passage B seemed to be implying discussion of relativist historians. That's obviously not a great rationalization so curious to hear the thought process
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
angels,

Both passages are concerned with what it takes to meet the ideal of objectivity in the writing of historical scholarship. By definition, "objectivity" means "freedom from bias". So each passage is concerned with how to avoid bias.

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.