LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=14335)

The correct answer choice is (D)

This question deals specifically with the work of the New Women, described entirely in the fourth
paragraph of the passage. Note that many of the answer choices employ causal reasoning to explain
various aspects of their literary style and subject matter.

Answer choice (A): This is a Reverse answer. The author never discussed how various literary styles
affect changes in social customs; instead, the author was more interested in examining how certain
narrative conventions were affected by such changes. This answer choice falls outside the scope of
the discussion regarding the work of the New Women, and is therefore incorrect.

Answer choice (B): It is entirely unclear whether the New Women advocated a specific social
change, let alone that they ended up regretting the change once it had occurred. This answer choice
is incorrect.

Answer choice (C): This answer choice is seemingly attractive, but ultimately incorrect. Granted,
changes in social customs did occasionally lead to changes in literary technique: the demise of the
“women’s culture,” for instance, caused the local colorists to alter their writing style. However, the
work of the New Women does not corroborate this view, as there is little evidence establishing that
their impressionistic methods resulted from any particular change in social customs. Furthermore,
the word “inevitably” is an exaggeration: this alone makes answer choice (C) impossible to prove.

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice. As described in the fourth paragraph of
the passage, the New Writers “experimented with impressionistic methods in an effort to explore
hitherto unrecorded aspects of female consciousness” (lines 49-52). In other words, the writers
developed their innovative style as a result of trying to describe something that had previously been
neglected.

Answer choice (E): This is a Shell Game answer, as it refers not to the New Women writers but to
the local colorists whose conventions Chopin used in resolving a specific narrative problem (lines
31-34).
 rachue
|
Hi,

I'm having trouble understanding why D is a better choice over C in question 15. I know this is generally considered a difficult passage but I want to make sure I fully understand it. Thanks in advance!
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
rachue wrote:Hi,

I'm having trouble understanding why D is a better choice over C in question 15. I know this is generally considered a difficult passage but I want to make sure I fully understand it. Thanks in advance!

As for question #15, answer choice C can be eliminated based on its very strong language. To say that social custom changes inevitably lead to literary changes is quite bold, and unsupported by the passage.
 rachue
|
Hi Steve,

That does clear things up. Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.