LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=14335)

The correct answer choice is (C)

The court in the 1991 case held that the term “traditional” need not refer to an activity that was only
exercised within living memory: “the fact that Alaskan natives were prevented, by circumstances
beyond their control, from exercising a tradition for a given period of time does not mean that it has
been lost forever or that it has become any less a ‘tradition’” (lines 49-53).

This question tests your ability to apply the ruling in the 1991 case to a decision in a future case—a
common exercise for first-year law students.

Answer choice (A): This answer choice is attractive, but incorrect. Just because the handicraft was
common among indigenous peoples several millennia ago does not mean that the handicraft would
automatically qualify as “traditional.” The court’s interpretation does not extend to all activities that
were once common, but only to activities that may have been interrupted for reasons beyond the
natives’ control.

Answer choice (B): There is no reason to suspect that the court meant to define any activity that
involves taking the pelts of multiple endangered species as “traditional.” This answer choice is
incorrect.

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice. Because the handicraft in question was
once common, but was discontinued for reasons beyond the native’s control, the court’s ruling in the
1991 case can be used to qualify the handicraft as “traditional.”

Answer choice (D): The relative popularity of the handicraft among the indigenous craftspeople is
irrelevant to determining whether it qualifies for protection as “traditional.” This answer choice is
incorrect.

Answer choice (E): The description of this handicraft suggests that its popularity among Alaska
Natives is gradually diminishing. The ruling in the 1991 case provides no rationale for protecting
such handicrafts as “traditional,” even if they were once common. This answer choice is incorrect.
 sarae
|
How do we know that the handicraft in answer choice C was practiced for a short time (in order to qualify as "traditional")?
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Sara,

It wasn't practiced for a short time--it was once common but was discontinued due to circumstances beyond the people's control--that's why it could be considered "traditional" in the context of this passage.

I hope that's helpful! Please let me know whether this is clear--thanks!

~Steve
 rneuman123@gmail.com
|
This was super helpful. Thank you! Based on your answer, I decided that a good pre-phrase for this question is, according to the 1991 law, what qualifies as traditional? Do you think that is a sufficient pre-phrase?
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
That's absolutely correct. :) Good point!
 temiolof
|
Hi,

I am still confused about why answer choice a is wrong, though I understand why c is correct. My thinking is that the ruling in 1991 established at least two things:
1) the requirement for a practice to be "within living memory" imposed an excessively restrictive time frame
2) the fact that a circumstance beyond Alaskan native's control prevented continuous practice of a tradition does not make it any less of a tradition

Answer choice a seems to get at point 1. The handicraft is no longer practiced, but was common several millennia ago (read: not within living memory).
I understand that answer c gets at point 2. A handicraft was discontinued due to herd animals abandoning local habitat (read: circumstance beyond the control of Alaskan natives).

Why is answer a wrong?

Thank you!
 Claire Horan
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Temiolof,

Answer A is wrong because that practice would not qualify as "traditional" under the FWS regulation allowing exemptions for native articles that were "commonly produced before 1972." Because this practice would not qualify anyway, the 1991 court case drawing finer distinctions is irrelevant. Another way to phrase the question is, "For which of these situations does the 1991 case ruling change the outcome/make a difference?"

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.