LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation:
(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=10524)

The correct answer choice is (C)

This is a relatively challenging question, because most of the passage compares Dostoyevsky’s views to those of the radical critics’, not to the critics who see art as elevated above the present and the everyday (lines 3—4). As you point out, however, that Dostoyevsky is a realist who “never doubted that reality was literature’s critical source” (lines 10—11). His understanding of the relationship between art and reality is antithetical to the position held by the critics in question.

Answer choice (A): This answer choice is incorrect, because Dostoyevsky would probably reject the views held by these critics.

Answer choice (B): As with answer choice (A), Dostoyevsky would probably consider these critics’ views as incorrect, which eliminates answer choice (B) from consideration. Note, however, that answer choice (B) correctly describes Dostoyevsky’s perception of reality as more than just an enumeration of the mundane details of life. Unfortunately, there is no evidence that the critics mentioned in lines 3—4 would agree with his views. If they did, their demand that art be entirely independent of reality would seem somewhat counterintuitive.

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice. Dostoyevsky would probably regard the critics’ views as incorrect, because reality is foundational to literature, not extraneous to it (lines 10—11).

Answer choice (D): This answer choice is incorrect, because the critics in question are actually quite keen on distinguishing reality from fantasy (or art). It is Dostoyevsky who resists making a sharp distinction between the two.

Answer choice (E): This answer choice alludes to a view held by the radical critics, not by the critics mentioned in lines 3—4.
 lsatprep1215
|
Hi, I don't know how to answer this question, I was thinking about C but I did not choose it, although Dosto never doubted that reality was literature’s crucial source, answer C said reality must be the foundation of all literature. I thought crucial means important but does not necessary means foundation? Can someone explain?
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi lsatprep1215!

Crucial means more than just important--it means extremely important to the point of being essential or necessary. And the word "source" is closely related to "foundation" as they both refer to the basis of something. So "he never doubted that reality was literature's crucial source" (lines 10-11) is basically the equivalent of saying that "reality must be the foundation of all literature" (answer choice (C)).

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.