LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=10524)

The correct answer choice is (A)

This question asks us to identify how Dostoyevsky’s views of realism differ from those of the radical critics. Passage structure is key, as the two views of realism are compared and contrasted primarily in the second paragraph.

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice. Dostoyevsky considers reality to be influenced by one’s subjective experience of it, and deems the fantastic to be “intimately bound up with the real” (lines 16-25). In other words, Dostoyevsky believes that reality is not independent of the way we experience it.

Answer choice (B): Dostoyevsky never compares realism to the task of representing political views.

Answer choice (C): The belief that art should be elevated above the portrayal of reality describes a view held by the literary critics who oppose the radical ones. As a realist, Dostoyevsky would reject this view.

Answer choice (D): While we do know that the radical critics believe in the power of art to expose inequalities and contribute to the creation of a new society (lines 7-8), we have no way of evaluating Dostoyevsky’s beliefs regarding the power of realism to do the same.

Answer choice (E): This is the Opposite answer, as Dostoyevsky considers reality to be foundational to all literature (lines 10-11).
 lsatprep1215
|
I did not pick answer A because of line 17-20, reality was necessarily shaped by the person who experienced it: what may not be reality for you may be reality for me." This makes me think reality is independent, it is independent because it depend on how different people see it. What is the problem of my thought process?
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi lsatprep1215!

You've interpreted the passage correctly, but your interpretation of answer choice (A) is a little off. Answer choice (A) doesn't just say that reality is not independent, it says that it is not independent of the experiences of individuals. Meaning that it is connected to the experiences of individuals. Which is exactly what you point out from the passage--reality is linked to the experiences of individuals. There is not a reality which exists independently of individual experience. If there was a reality that was independent of the experiences of individuals, that would mean that there was an objective reality, unshaped by how people see it.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey
 lsatprep1215
|
KelseyWoods wrote:Hi lsatprep1215!

You've interpreted the passage correctly, but your interpretation of answer choice (A) is a little off. Answer choice (A) doesn't just say that reality is not independent, it says that it is not independent of the experiences of individuals. Meaning that it is connected to the experiences of individuals. Which is exactly what you point out from the passage--reality is linked to the experiences of individuals. There is not a reality which exists independently of individual experience. If there was a reality that was independent of the experiences of individuals, that would mean that there was an objective reality, unshaped by how people see it.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey
Thanks Kelsey! Glad to know that I am looking at the right sentences for information. I just need to understand the answer choice better.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.