LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=10524)

The correct answer choice is (E)

We already know the Main Point from our analysis above, so this question should be relatively straightforward.

Answer choice (A): Dostoyevsky does not draw upon elements of two opposing strains of literary criticism to develop his theoretical apparatus. He profoundly disagrees with the radical critics on a number of issues, and also rejects the rival view about the relationship between art and reality.

Answer choice (B): This is a half-right, half-wrong answer. While Dostoyevsky’s views do oppose those of the two most prominent groups of Russian literary critics, he never claims that literature should keep itself removed from reality. On the contrary, Dostoyevsky is a realist who regards reality as foundational to literature (lines 10-11).

Answer choice (C): This answer choice suggests that Dostoyevsky’s only objection to the radical critics’ position rests on their stipulation that literature be useful to society. This is clearly incorrect: Dostoyevsky also disagrees with the radical critics’ definition of “reality,” and rejects their view that formal aspects of literary works are of secondary importance.

Answer choice (D): To describe Dostoyevsky as a champion of artistic freedom is overly ambitious and exaggerates the author’s position.

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice. After introducing the three competing viewpoints in the first paragraph, the rest of the passage highlights several points of divergence between Dostoyevsky’s views and those of the radical critics. By touching upon each paragraph within the passage, this answer choice most accurately expresses the main point of the passage.
 Strongam
|
Hello,
I chose answer A instead of answer E and would like to understand better why answer A is wrong.
My reasoning was that Dostoyevsky does draw on elements from both views. I feel he shows agreement with the first view claim that art should be "high above the present and everyday" listed in lines 3-4 as he later states in lines 14 and 22-25 that "the fantastic" should be used by authors.
I felt he also drew from the radical point of view listed in lines 5-6 "sources in concrete reality" when he clearly agreed that this was important in lines 10-11 "never doubted that reality was literature's crucial source."
It seems to me that answer A recognizes these examples of Dostoyevsky "drawing on elements" from these two views in constructing his own and therefore makes answer choice A true.
While I agree that most of the passage examines the differences between Dostoyevsky and the radical point of view (as answer choice E claims), I feel that answer choice E does not account for the first view which clearly impacted his view of reality and it served as the basis for his disagreement with the radicals in lines 11-15. I also feel that answer choice E didn't account for the few things Dostoyevsky DID take from both views in the creation of his own. The answer says it "differed sharply" but the answer fails to account for the common elements which provided some foundational aspects of Dostoyevsky's view. I would think a proper main point answer would include such foundational aspects.
I hope I have been more clear than I was on my previous post and if anyone wants to help I'd be glad to understand this question better.
Also, as a side note, I find it difficult to keep my focus on the reading passage when I struggle to pronounce the names of people in it, like in this passage. I try to cope by just glossing over it (not trying to pronounce it) and re-identifying him each time his name appears but I notice that this still slows me down in my reading (although not as much as trying to pronounce the name each time). Does anyone have any tips on how to keep up your pace when encountering this?
Thanks!
 nicholaspavic
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Strongam,

Let me take your last question first, because this is a problem that comes up in Reading Comp and Logic Games often. There is a famous LSAT game that involves toy dinosaurs that students respond to very similarly. They identify an "ultrasaur" (though nobody seems to know if there is an actual dinosaur by this name) and something called a "lambeosaur." It drives students crazy when they encounter it and makes a difficult game even harder. In another game, the spice named "fenugreek" particularly annoys me. We don't have time for distractions on this test though. So often on the LSAT we encounter "distractors" in names and we have to learn to shut out that annoyance. It's a skill that many people have to develop for this test!

My advice is to try to just read the first and last letter of the name when it becomes an annoyance. In other words, if the name Dostoyevsky drives you insane to read inside your head, just try to read "Dy" so that you are sure they are always referring to the same person. Abbreviations in LG often works this way too. We can't focus on the names of the variables, rather they are just letters to be manipulated in our diagrams. Work on it and see if the abbreviation trick helps.

Now to Answer Option (A) and why it is incorrect. Line 9 indicates "Dostoyevsky took a third position." And then the author goes on to note how D's viewpoint diverged and contrasted from the two opposing strains. That should completely rule out why Dostoyevsky did not "draw" upon the elements of the strains to form his new direction. Although, the remaining arguments you make may ultimately form a great basis for a paper of your own on how Dostoyevsky pulled from those strains, that is not this author's main point. And that is why (A) is incorrect.

Thank you for the great questions and let us know if this helps!
 Strongam
|
Thank you for the help Nicholas. Yes I will try using those abbreviations. During Logic Games it is easy for me to just use letters but I will try to use them in Reading passages as well.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.