LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Passage Discussion

As with many Comparative Reading passages, the two authors take different tones in discussing the same general topic: the ability of evolutionary psychology to explain altruistic behavior.

Passage A

Overall, this author seeks to explain altruistic behavior as a result of certain psychological states brought about by cues indicating the presence of shared genetic material. As a whole, the passage has a predictable structure for a science passage: it begins by describing a puzzling phenomenon and then offers a novel explanation for it.

Paragraph One:

Introduce the basic tenets of evolutionary psychology (lines 3-7) and describe a phenomenon—altruism—that defies an easy explanation.

Paragraph Two:

Explain altruism as an evolutionary phenomenon. Cues, such as physical resemblance, indicate the presence of shared genetic material and provoke psychological states of identification and empathy. The resulting “altruistic” behavior, in turn, enhances the survival and replication of genes that influence the capacity for identification and empathy. The end of this paragraph provides a nice summary of the “selfish gene” theory—“genes promoting their own self-propagation may thus operate through instinctive actions that appear unselfish” (lines 24-26).

Paragraph Three:

Examine the application of altruistic mechanisms to small, kin-based groups.

Passage B

The author of the second passage is overtly skeptical about the ability of evolutionary psychology to explain altruistic behavior, because the concern to propagate our genes is not necessarily the only plausible motive for such behavior.

Paragraph One:

Redefine evolutionary psychology as a “conspiracy theory” and cast that theory in a dubious light.

Paragraph Two:

Describe monogamy as an example of human behavior for which evolutionary psychologists propose a questionable explanation.

Paragraph Three:

Explain why the theory of evolutionary psychology is of questionable value.

Passage Similarities and Differences

With a clear understanding of the two passages, we need to make a basic analysis of the passage relationships. The author of passage B is clearly more skeptical of evolutionary psychology than is the author of passage A, although both authors exhibit a tone that is more speculative than assertive. Both authors provide evidence suggesting that certain human behaviors can be explained by showing that genes promote their own self-propagation, but the author of passage B suggests that an interest in the behavior itself can serve the same explanatory purpose.
 swong1267
|
Hi,

I'm a little confused where Passage A talks about altruism as helping the altruistic agent survive, i.e. performing an altruistic action increasing reproductive success of the agent himself.

Is the link that altruism, which is typically performed toward family members who share genes with you, will propagate those genes? That doesn't seem to be increasing the chances of survival for the agent performing the altruistic act..

Thanks!
 Francis O'Rourke
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Swong,

You are right that altruism often hurts an individual's chances of survival. If I risk my life swimming out to save my drowning child, then I am hurting my own chances of surviving.

What the passage states is that altruism helps the survival of the shared genes. That is, although I am risking my own life by swimming out into the ocean, I am helping the chances of my genes surviving through my child.

Lines 19-21 state this in a more succinctly: altruistic actions may increase "the chances of related individuals' receiving assistance," which in turn increases the "survival ... of genes."

Let us know if this helps! :-D

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.