LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=10510)

The correct answer choice is (B)

This question asks us to identify an inference related to the use of proverbs. Due to the relatively general nature of the question, both the second and the third paragraphs can be used to confirm the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (A): This is the Opposite answer. The second paragraph clearly states that proverb use is shaped by the larger community with which the individual interacts. We can infer from this that proverbs are often used to reinforce community-approved norms.

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice. Since communities shape proverb use (lines 13-18), the use of proverbs depends, at least in part, on the community in which they are used.

Answer choice (C): Although the regulation of peer-group relationship is a notable use of proverbs in Mexican American communities, it is unclear whether this is the most frequent use of proverbs in these communities. This answer choice contains an exaggeration.

Answer choice (D): Read carefully! Proverbs are often used in the instruction of the young, but not necessarily to help teach them languages.

Answer choice (E): This answer choice is too broad and falls outside the scope of the discussion. Although the educational use of proverbs in Mexican American communities has more than one purpose, we cannot extrapolate that this is usually the case whenever proverbs are used as an educational tool.
 15veries
|
I thought E is correct because it serves both to teach something and enhance familiarity with their heritage.
Why is E wrong?
I'm still not convinced...
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey 15, thanks for asking. Did you see the Admin's explanation for this answer? I'll echo it here - answer E is too broad. We know from this passage about the use of proverbs in the Mexican-American community, and that they can serve multiple purposes, but what do we know about what is usually the case? How are proverbs used among Native Americans? Among the Maori people in New Zealand? Among French aristocracy? Since answer E brings up the idea of what is usual, and we have such limited information about proverb use, we simply can't know that and must reject that answer.

I hope that cleared it up for you. Keep studying!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.