LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=10510)

The correct answer choice is (E)

Given the difficulty of prephrasing an answer to open-ended Must Be True questions, try to eliminate any answer choice that is not addressed in the passage. Then examine closely the remaining contenders. Since all five answer choices deal with the external sources of influence on Mexican American proverb use, it is likely that the first half of the passage will be particularly useful in answering this question.

Answer choice (A): The author clearly states that not all proverbs used in Mexican American communities originated in Spain, adding that many belong to common proverb traditions in Europe (lines 7-12). It is unclear, however, in what other areas besides Europe such proverbs originate.

Answer choice (B): While many Mexican American proverbs have exact equivalents in English-language proverbial speech (lines 10-12), it is unclear whether this influence is a “two-way” street. Although it is possible that some proverbs used in the English-language tradition were derived from Mexican American proverbs, this cannot be proven by the information contained in the passage.

Answer choice (C): The author never describes the types of messages communicated by proverbs in the English-language tradition. The focus is exclusively on proverb use within Mexican American communities.

Answer choice (D): No mention is made of any other groups besides Mexican Americans in which proverbs serve to maintain ethnic ties.

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice. The question can be affirmatively answered by referring to lines 22-24.
 amacmill
|
The sentence in the first paragraph says "the great majority of Spanish-language proverbs reached Mexico from peninsular Spain, though they did not all orginate there." This seems to me in imply that at least some of them originated on peninsular Spain. Could someone explain this to me?
 amacmill
|
Nevermind answered my own question. I was thinking English speaking countries, not Europe as a whole.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.