LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=10510)

The correct answer choice is (D)

This is a relatively challenging question because of the open-ended nature of the question stem. As with most questions in this passage, prephrasing a correct answer choice will be difficult. Instead, try to eliminate any answer choice that cannot be proven by the passage, and examine in detail any remaining contenders.

Answer choice (A): While proverbs are sometimes used to inculcate table manners, there is no evidence that such proverbs are primarily intended to foster ethnic ties.

Answer choice (B): This is an attractive answer choice, because proverbs do provide Mexican American communities with a means of enhancing young people’s familiarity with their heritage (lines 50-54). This does not mean, however, that the frequent use of proverbs within any community would function in the exact same way. This answer choice contains an exaggeration and is therefore incorrect.

Answer choice (C): The accuracy of this statement cannot be confirmed based on the passage, because the author makes no mention of how Spanish speakers throughout the world use proverbs.

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice. Proverbs are sayings that do not require a specific verbal context to be understood (lines 5-6) but whose meaning varies depending on the social context in which they are used (lines 15-16).

Answer choice (E): Although the instructional use of proverbs seems to be much more prominent in Mexican tradition than in English-speaking traditions (lines 22-24), we have no way of comparing the regulation of peer-group relationships in Mexican American communities to that of other communities within the United States. It is entirely possible that all ethnic communities in the United States regulate peer-group relationships.
 sgrimsdale
|
Hi,

I am stuck on No. 12 of this passage. Where exactly do you gather the information to conclude that D is implied in the passage? I chose B, the most popular incorrect answer choice. Why exactly is B incorrect?

Thank you!

Sarah
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
sgrimsdale wrote:Hi,

I am stuck on No. 12 of this passage. Where exactly do you gather the information to conclude that D is implied in the passage? I chose B, the most popular incorrect answer choice. Why exactly is B incorrect?

Thank you!

Sarah
Hello Sarah,

Try looking at lines 4-7 of the passage, which support answer D. Answer B is not supported, in that we don't know that in *every single community in the world*, proverbs are used to reinforce ethnicity in kids. Maybe some communities, but not all, for all we know.

Hope this helps,
David
 sgrimsdale
|
Thanks, that helps!
 nivernova
|
I know the correct answer is D, but I'm not sure why C is not supported....

The first sentence of the passage seems like it is the basis for C.

However, I cannot clearly tell why it is wrong.
 Luke Haqq
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi nivernova!

It's great that you are drawing on specific line references from the passage in order to justify and substantiate the answer you select.

I can also see how the first sentence might look like it lends support to (C). The first sentence of the passage is, "Mexican Americans share with speakers of Spanish throughout the world a rich and varied repertoire of proverbs as well as a vital tradition of proverb use." The question stem asks us for what must be true, and answer choice (C) states, "The ways in which Mexican Americans use Spanish-language proverbs are typical of the ways in which Spanish speakers throughout the world use those proverbs."

Despite some similarities, the first sentence doesn't make (C) necessarily true. We know from the first sentence that there is a shared repertoire of proverbs between Mexican Americans and Spanish speakers throughout the world. Answer choice (C), by contrast, is a claim about how this repertoire is used, which is beyond what we know from that sentence. It's possible that uses of that repertoire differ for Spanish speakers in different places and contexts. In addition, the first sentence doesn't tell us about whether certain uses by Mexican Americans are "typical" of Spanish speakers throughout the world.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.