LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=14208)

The correct answer choice is (D)

This Global Reference question provides no basis for a specific prephrase, but the correct answer
choice will be the one that can be confirmed by the passage.

Answer choice (A): The author does not explore the issue of unauthorized use or theft, so this choice
cannot be inferred based on the information in the passage.

Answer choice (B): In the second paragraph of the passage, the author mentions that information
stored on optical disks in the 1980’s might not be retrievable because the necessary software and
hardware is unavailable; there is no claim that much of the information was later transferred to
digital tape, so this choice cannot be properly inferred and cannot be the right answer to this Must Be
True question.

Answer choice (C): The passage includes no discussion of the costs associated with electronic
storage or the problems such costs might pose for archivists seeking to transfer their archives.

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice. In the first paragraph the author mentions
that color photographs last for about 40 years, and black and white pictures can last for centuries.
Toward the end of the second paragraph, the author states that recent generations of digital storage
last only about ten years.

Answer choice (E): The passage does not deal with the percentage of information considered
essential by archivists.
 mpoulson
|
Hello,

I came to answer D through process of elimination. However, I would like to know how to arrive at the answer more directly. Can you identify passages that make it clear? Thank you.

V/r,

Micah
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
mpoulson wrote:Hello,

I came to answer D through process of elimination. However, I would like to know how to arrive at the answer more directly. Can you identify passages that make it clear? Thank you.

V/r,

Micah

Hello,

There are examples throughout the passage, e.g., "Black-and-white photographs will last for a couple of centuries, [but] many documents and images transferred in the 1980s to optical computer disks--then the cutting edge of technology--may not now be retrievable because they depend on computer software and hardware that are no longer available."

David

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.