LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=14208)

The correct answer choice is (C)

The right answer to this Must Be True question will be the only one that provides a question that can
be answered by the information in the passage.

Answer choice (A): This incorrect answer choice is intended to catch test takers who may have read
the passage a bit too quickly; the author mentions in the first paragraph that a lot of the manuscripts
produced on parchment still look new, and mentions, in an unrelated point in the third paragraph that
the works of Virgil and Homer have endured because of their popularity--but not that their works
were stored on parchment. Since this choice fails the Fact Test, it should be ruled out of contentioni n
response to this Must be True question.

Answer choice (B): In the first paragraph, the author mentions that books printed on acidic paper
in the 1980’s are unreadable, but does not assert that digital storage is necessarily more durable
than information stored on acidic paper, nor does the auhtor explore reasons for varying degrees
of durability among different types of media storage, so this choice does not provide a question
answered by the passage and cannot be the right answer.

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice. In the first paragraph, the author mentions
that optical storage disks were state-of-the-art in the 1980’s.

Answer choice (D): In the first paragraph of the passage the author mentions Mesopotamian clay
tablets as an example of ancient storage that still endures but does not specify how many such tablets
exist. The question provided in this choice cannot be answered by the information in the passage, so
this cannot be the right answer choice.

Answer choice (E): Some works of Plato, the author mentions in the final paragraph, were lost for
centuries before being rediscovered, but does not deal with the issue of how Plato’s works were
originally recorded.
 rneuman123@gmail.com
|
I now see answer c in the passage. I overlooked it I think because I didn't circle that yr when diagramming. But I don't see how a is incorrect. Lines 45-48 discuss homer and Virgil being printed frequently.
 Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi!

See my answer to this post: lsat/viewtopic.php?f=504&t=9347&p=28186#p28186

And then let us know when it is time to re-visit and we can definitely help answer whatever questions you have left with this one. :)
 ericau02
|
Hello I do not see where it states that optical disk were state of the art storage mediums in 1980. Can you pls provide a specific line reference ?
 Brook Miscoski
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
erica, look in line 28, "optical computer disks" which are discussed as being storage.
 KG!
|
With questions like these, would you recommend that once you find the correct answer you move along? I know we're taught to work from wrong to right, but a question like this could be a great opportunity to speed up in RC. What are your thoughts?

Thank you so much in advance!!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I'm a bit of a stickler about reading all 5 answer choices, KG. While it might be acceptable in some cases to take that shortcut, I find that often enough the first answer that looks great actually has one little thing wrong with it that can be easily overlooked if you're being hasty, and if you keep reading you will find another answer that also looks great and helps you see the problem with the first answer, which turns out to be a trap.

There are a few cases where I don't read all the answers, like when I have a crystal clear prephrase and I see the answer that matches it just sitting there waiting for me. This happens more in games than in the other sections - "they asked what must be true, and I've determined that H has to be in the Recycling panel, and that's answer A" - but occasionally it happens in LR and RC. When that happens, go for it - zero in on the one that is exactly what you know you are looking for and take the win. Otherwise, best practice is to read all the answer choices. After all, the test asks for the best answer, and that requires a comparison, right?
 KG!
|
Right!! And okay thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.