LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=14297)

The correct answer choice is (C)

Due to the general nature of this question, the method of elimination is likely to prove useful—any
answer choice that cannot be proven by the passage will be incorrect.

Answer choice (A): The eventual transition to the new digital model is likely to result from a
combination of social and economic factors, such as convenience, efficiency, etc. The changing
literary tastes of consumers is not one of those factors.

Answer choice (B): Under the new digital model, no book will ever be designated “out of print,”
which is certainly an advantage unique to that model. Whether this advantage will be the primary
factor in the eventual acceptance of the digital model is entirely unknown. This answer choice
contains an exaggeration.

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice. According to the discussion in the third
paragraph, literary agents will start demanding higher royalties for their authors, forcing traditional
publishers to eliminate certain outdated functions and adjust to the new model or else lose authors to
upstart digital-publishing firms. Clearly, the demands of literary agents will play a significant role in
completing the transition to the new digital model.

Answer choice (D): The author never mentions the need for promoting the new digital model using
innovative marketing strategies.

Answer choice (E): Although widespread familiarity with electronic storage of information is likely
to aid in the acceptance of the new digital model, we have no reason to suspect that such familiarity
will be the primary reason for its acceptance. As with answer choice (B), this answer choice contains
an exaggeration.
 angie23
|
I was stuck between B and C for this one. I understand why C) is correct, but why is B) wrong? I thought it was supported by lines 22-25.
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Angie,

That's a good question. The fact that you found answer choice (B) appealing is understandable. Under the new digital model, no book will ever be designated “out of print,” which is certainly an advantage unique to that model. Whether this advantage will be the primary factor in the eventual acceptance of the digital model, though, is entirely unknown.

I hope that's helpful! Please let me know whether this is clear--thanks!

~Steve
 wannabelawyer
|
A bit confused. To me, answer choice (C) seems to be an effect of the transition to the new digital market: “Moreover, the elimination of whole categories of expense means that under the digital publishing model, authors would be responsible for a greater proportion of the value of the final product and would therefore, according to literary agents, be entitled to a larger share of the proceeds... Literary agents marketing new manuscripts could thus be expected to demand a significantly bigger slice...”

It sounds like we’re already operating under the digital model here, and therefore the original impetus would have to be something else.

Now that I’ve put the word original before impetus I see that the answer choice actually says “the impetus for completing the transition,” so that one little cheap word threw me off. Now that I’ve typed this out, I’ll leave it here for anyone else struggling with the same problem hah.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Very kind of you to share the thought process for future students to use, wannabelawyer! That's the spirit of cooperation that will serve you well when you join a study group in law school to prepare for exams as a group. Well done!

To elaborate for the sake of those who are confused about which comes first in this scenario, the move to digital publishing or the demands of the agents, it's actually a bit of a cycle. First, digital publishing becomes a practical reality due to upstart firms offering the option. Then, agents start demanding a bigger piece of the pie for their authors. Then, big traditional firms feel the pressure to compete with the upstarts and start cutting costs and moving to a digital on-demand model. Thus, the agents' demands don't initiate the move to digital on-demand publishing, but they do provide the impetus to complete that transition, as answer C says.
 LawyerBae24
|
Hi I am having trouble understanding how A is incorrect. In lines 20-25 it states that “given the economic efficiency and convenience for customers of this new digital mode of publishing - it is like to supplant or at least rival traditional publishing.” Why Is the change of consumers from traditional to digital not considered a change in literary taste? Can that literary taste only mean genre ?
 Paul Marsh
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi LawyerBae24! Great username.

"Literary taste" generally refers to the type of literary content that one enjoys. As you mentioned, this can include different genres. But it can also include many other things - setting of the work ("I like novels set in the 1920's"), setting of the author ("I enjoy things written by Ancient Greek writers"), identity of the author ("I tend to prefer works written by women"), etc.

But things like the physical format of the book or its price would likely not fall under the umbrella of "literary taste", as those generally have no relation to the actual content of the literature. Like if someone asked me about my literary taste and I replied, "Well I generally enjoy paperback books" or "I really love super cheap books" - that person would probably look at me a bit funny.

So with that in mind, lines 20-25 don't really support answer choice (A). There is nothing in the passage about the evolving preferences of readers regarding the content of their readings.

Hope that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.