LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=14297)

The correct answer choice is (E)

We already know the Main Point from our analysis above, so this question should be relatively
straightforward.

Answer choice (A): While the end of the passage suggests that the shift from traditional to digital
publishing has certain implications that are typical of any economic transformation, this is a
secondary point and does not capture the main point of the passage. Be wary of Main Point answers
that merely restate the very last sentence(s) of the passage.

Answer choice (B): There are two problems with this answer choice. First, although there are certain
economic factors that hinder the widespread acceptance of digital publishing (lines 26-29), no
mention is made of any social factors that might have a similar effect. In fact, the social pressures—
if they exist at all—seem favor (not hinder) the adoption of digital publishing, which is more
convenient for readers. Furthermore, the author does not dwell too much on the obstacles to digital
publishing, so the second part of this answer choice focuses on a relatively minor point.

Answer choice (C): This answer choice contains an exaggeration. Just because some traditional
publishers might lose some of their authors to upstart digital-publishing firms does not mean that
there will be a “great deal of movement” by authors among different publishing houses.

Answer choice (D): This answer choice is partial to the first paragraph of the passage, and entirely
ignores the discussion in the second and third paragraphs. Main Point questions require a much
broader statement that provides a summary of the entire passage.

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice, as it provides a summary of the entire
passage. By referencing the effects of digital publishing on the economics of the publishing business,
this answer choice addresses a key element from each of the first two paragraphs (lines 6-10 and 22-
25). It also alludes to the discussion of author compensation in the third paragraph.
 alee
|
Hi

With respect to PT 66, Section 1, Q1, why is option B wrong?

B: Digital publishing is likely to one day rival traditional publishing, but social and economic factors are currently hindering its acceptance.

Is it because *social* factors hindering its acceptance are not mentioned?

I think that economic factors *are* mentioned at lines 25-29 (that the catalog of digitally available books is not yet large enough to justify investment in book printing machines).

Cheers!
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
There are two problems with answer choice (B). Although there are some economic factors that are currently hindering the widespread acceptance of digital publishing (lines 26 - 29), it is unclear what "social factors" are being referenced here. Furthermore, the author does not dwell too much on why digital publishing does not yet rival traditional publishing, so the second part of this answer choice focuses on a relatively minor point.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I think the social pressures are there, alee, in the opening paragraph of the passage. They are implied when the author tells us that individuals, when given the capability to do so, will order books "on demand" through digital media and have them bound, rather than reading them on electronic devices. But whether or not B is a true statement, the question is asking for the Main Point of the passage, and B just doesn't capture it. B gives us some key points from the passage, but E is a much more complete and all-encompassing answer to the question, "What is this passage about?" It's not mainly about the obstacles to digital books being printed on demand - it's that the publishing industry is undergoing a change, with some explanation of what that change will bring.

Hope that helped!

Adam
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Just to add to Adam's comment below, the social factors mentioned at the end of the opening paragraph do not seem to hinder the acceptance of digital publishing. They facilitate it, because they address the general preference for purchasing digitized books that can be printed on demand.
 bk1111
|
Adam Tyson wrote:I think the social pressures are there, alee, in the opening paragraph of the passage. They are implied when the author tells us that individuals, when given the capability to do so, will order books "on demand" through digital media and have them bound, rather than reading them on electronic devices. But whether or not B is a true statement, the question is asking for the Main Point of the passage, and B just doesn't capture it. B gives us some key points from the passage, but E is a much more complete and all-encompassing answer to the question, "What is this passage about?" It's not mainly about the obstacles to digital books being printed on demand - it's that the publishing industry is undergoing a change, with some explanation of what that change will bring.

Hope that helped!

Adam
Hi, I picked B thinking social factors could refer to the publisher's reluctance to give authors a bigger piece of the revenue (paragraph 3). Would it be incorrect to say that is a social factor? I was hesitant to pick A because it says "digital publishing will transform the economics" and that seemed too strong compared to the language of the passage that said "it is likely" when referring to the transformation.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I would classify that reluctance to give more revenue to authors an economic factor, not a social one, bk. Also, as Nikki and the official explanation both pointed out earlier in this thread, the social factors support, rather than hinder, a move to digital publishing.

Out author is actually pretty certain that changes are coming to the publishing industry. His "likely" language isn't about whether changes will occur, but which changes will occur - he thinks the rise of on demand printing is more likely than electronic books completely supplanting printed books. Ultimately, though, he seems entirely certain that change of one sort or another is afoot, with on demand printing being the more likely avenue for that change.

Hope that helps some!
 flexbubbleboi
|
I had narrowed this question down to B and E. I threw out E because it says "digital publishing /will/ transform..." -- the passage author says they "believe" these transformations will happen (line 6), and speculates about what "would" happen if that were the case (line 32), but doesn't express the certainty that "will" implies. How can I avoid getting this question wrong in the future? What am I missing that would justify the use of "will" in answer E?

Thanks for your help!
 atierney
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hello,

One of the methods of choosing the answer that always advocate is to which one of the two contenders you can most easily eliminate. And here, I think it's B of the two (between B and E), because the whole passage is a speculative, predictive piece, which paints the author's vision of the future, but doesn't really discuss the current predicaments/difficulties of digital publishing with respect to widespread acceptance. And so that last part of answer choice that mentions social and economic factors currently hindering [digital publishing]'s acceptance was a dealbreaker for me.

Now looking at E, the "will" here is the operative tense demonstrating the author's prediction. The question is just stating that predictive quality using the future tense. And so, I think for passages like this one (which won't necessarily be common), the important thing to remember is that, while the author may confident in his/her prediction, it's still a form of speculation. It's like me saying England will win the Euro Championship this year (oh boy, hopefully there's an edit button!). I am confident that not only can win, but will win. However, once again, it's England, and, more importantly, it's my prediction. Take it as you will (pun intended).

Let me know if this helps!
 flexbubbleboi
|
That does help, thank you!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.