LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Malila Robinson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi lsnewbie,
The Crown had its omnipotence taken during the Glorious Revolution of 1688 and shifted to Parliament. But nothing in the passage suggests that Parliament had to give up that omnipotence. So if the Parliament was to join a multinational body, or take out a loan, or (whatever), its continued omnipotence would allow it to renege at any time. That leads to C as the correct Answer. And since Parliament would still be omnipotent nothing would undermine its ability to do do anything, which would rule out Answer Choice A.
Hope that helps!
-Malila
 BigBadDog
|
Hi Powerscore staff,

I've done this RC section a few times, and understand every question but this one.

Here's my thought process. IF Parliament makes a commitment to become a member of an international body, that means that they are transferring some sovereignty to an international entity.

This could mean two things.
1. The Parliament cannot transfer sovereignty and can leave at any time.
2. If the international body is indeed sovereign, which we do not know, then it could be viewed as a similar to the Glorious Revolution. I thought about this in the context of the Republic of Texas entering the USA, or France entering the European Coal and Steel Community. How do we know that sovereignty wasn't transferred?

I have read the above and understand the reasoning on a logical level. But it also seems like there is another possibility--joining a multinational organization can be the start of a new constitutional arrangement--just as the Brits undergoing Brexit. How do we discount this possibility to get to the correct answer?

When I actually went to answer this question, I thought ash sure, maybe Parliament still has the legal authority to end this arrangement. But we do not know that. So, for this MBT (inferred) question type, we need to be certain!

Help!
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Big Bad Dog,

In this scenario, we are considering what would happen if Parliament joins a multinational body. It does not state that they made a constitutional agreement, or similarly limited itself. In fact, according to the passage, it would lack the ability to do so even if it wanted to. What power would the multinational body have over Parliament if they choose to withdraw? They can't reach into the borders of a sovereign. There is nothing in the statement to establish that Parliament had it's sovereignty taken by the multinational organization.

Currently Parliament lacks the ability to limit its own power, so we have to take answer choice (c) as correct. They can always pull out, because they are unable to limit their own power.

Hope that helps!
Rachael

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.