LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=10837)

The correct answer choice is (B)

This question asks for the principle that underlies the argument presented in the passage’s final paragraph; there, the author points out that although Parliament was able to respond to the issue of the paradox of omnipotence, the approach did not provide a perfect solution since excessive power was simply shifted from the Crown to Parliament.

Answer choice (A): The underlying principle in the final paragraph is that a solution that simply shifts the issue is not a complete solution—not that practical consequences are more important than theoretical considerations.

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice. The author asserts that the shift of power is not a complete solution, since the fundamental cause (the inability to limit power, this time on the part of Parliament) still remained, even after the Glorious Revolution.

Answer choice (C): The author makes no suggestion that any form of government be completely abandoned; this cannot be the principle underlying the last paragraph of the passage.

Answer choice (D): The author’s point in the last paragraph is not that unlimited power is better in the hands of elected officials than those of monarchs—it is that a shift of excessive power from the Crown to the Parliament is not a complete solution.

Answer choice (E): The final paragraph is used to make the point that addressing the issue of the paradox of omnipotence with constitutional amendments does not provide a complete solution to the underlying issue—the problem of omnipotence in the hands of a monarch or a Parliament. The author’s point is not that the constitution must be explicit, so this choice should be ruled out of contention.
 ylikate
|
The author talks about the lack of limitation on Parliment's legal power in the last paragraph so I chose E. Is it wrong b/c it says "Specify"? would E be correct if instead of "Specify", it said "Limit"?
Thanks.
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi,

In the final paragraph, the author is focused on the fact that the Glorious Revolution was not a solution but a transfer of the problem. While the author is quick to point out the shortcomings of that constitutional effort (as choice (B) provides), the author does not suggest a solution, like the one presented in answer choice (E).

I hope that's helpful--please let me know whether this is clear--thanks!

~Steve
 ylikate
|
That makes sense. Thanks Steve.
 Albertlyu
|
Steve Stein wrote:Hi,

In the final paragraph, the author is focused on the fact that the Glorious Revolution was not a solution but a transfer of the problem. While the author is quick to point out the shortcomings of that constitutional effort (as choice (B) provides), the author does not suggest a solution, like the one presented in answer choice (E).

I hope that's helpful--please let me know whether this is clear--thanks!

~Steve
thanks, Steve, I chose E, because in B I could not find how the effects of the problems were eliminated from the context, the unchecked power simply switched from the monarchs to the legislative body, it did not go away. can you please let me know where I got off the right track? thanks.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
The effect that was eliminated was the unlimited power of the sovereign, Albert. But that failed to eliminate the cause of the problem, which was that there was no restraint on the power of whoever was in charge. The unwritten constitutional prohibition on Parliament expanding their own power solved that fundamental problem rather than just an effect of that problem.
 Albertlyu
|
Adam Tyson wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:39 pm The effect that was eliminated was the unlimited power of the sovereign, Albert. But that failed to eliminate the cause of the problem, which was that there was no restraint on the power of whoever was in charge. The unwritten constitutional prohibition on Parliament expanding their own power solved that fundamental problem rather than just an effect of that problem.
thanks Adam! Got it.
 KwakuS
|
Hello,

If I understand the last sentence correctly, is the author saying that the unwritten constitution places a limit on the parliament's power?
 KwakuS
|
KwakuS wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:29 pm Hello,

If I understand the last sentence correctly, is the author saying that the unwritten constitution places a limit on the parliament's power?
I ask because I chose D on the basis that the author would prefer to have unlimited power with the parliament than with the monarch. In principle, B does seem like the right answer, but I did not see evidence for that answer choice in the last paragraph.
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi KwakuS,

The key for the author here is not that omnipotence is better in a group than a monarch, but that omnipotence is bad wherever it lies. That's why it was important at the end of the passage to note that Parliament is not actually unlimited, but rather has limits placed on it by an unwritten constitution. It's the lack of limits that make omnipotence dangerous for countries because they aren't reliable then to be accountable for their actions. We need an solution then that does more move the problem from one place to another, but actually fixes the problem.

Hope that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.