LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=13780)

The correct answer choice is (A)

This Specific Reference/Purpose question asks us to explain why the author highlights the fact that we are “on the verge of a filmless, digital revolution” in line 17. Such questions almost always require a more thorough understanding of the context in which the quoted reference appears, and their answers should always be prephrased.

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice. The first three paragraphs describe the peculiar revival of old photographic techniques. Highlighting our advanced technological age makes this revival seem even more striking, unusual, and ironic.

Answer choice (B): While some photographers seem to eschew new technology in favor of old-fashioned ones, there is no reason to suspect that most photographers are wary of using advanced photographic techniques. This answer choice contains an exaggeration and is incorrect.

Answer choice (C): The author is not skeptical toward the trend of using old photographic techniques; on the contrary, she seems quite fond of it. This answer choice can easily be eliminated if you kept awareness of passage tone.

Answer choice (D): Just because some photographers have rediscovered old processes does not mean that most photographers now see little merit in the newest digital technology. As with answer choice (B), this one contains an exaggeration.

Answer choice (E): As someone who appreciates the recent interest in old photographic techniques, the author is unlikely to suggest that it will turn out to be a passing fad. Such a prediction implies skepticism regarding this trend, for which there is no basis. As with answer choice (C), you can easily eliminate this answer choice if you paid attention to the tone of the passage.
 SherryZ
|
Hi there, Thank you for helping me!

June 2013 LSA Sec 3 RC, Q8:

Why is A correct? When I saw A contains "Ironic", I hesitated. Could you tell me why it is "ironic" and where we can find "ironic" in the passage?

Thank you very much!

Sincerely,
Sherry
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Sherry,

That passage discusses the renewed interest in old photo processes. The quoted portion refers to the fact that here we are, on the verge of a revolution to get rid of film entirely and go entirely digital, yet photography is, ironically, now interested in the old techniques, thus "moving forward into its past."

I hope that's helpful! Please let me know whether this is clear--thanks!

~Steve

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.