LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=13775)

The correct answer choice is (A)

The answer to the Main Point question should always be prephrased. See VIEWSTAMP analysis in the passage discussion.

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice. The main point of the passage is to present Whatley’s position, which is summarized in the first paragraph and then restated at the end of the fourth.

Answer choice (B): While Whatley’s approach to farming is indeed sensitive to the demands of the consumer, it is unclear whether the dominant trends in agriculture are different in this respect. Even if such a distinction can be made, it would certainly not be the main point of the passage.

Answer choice (C): His preference for small farms notwithstanding, Whatley never intended to provide a “general critique” of the prevailing trend in agriculture. Furthermore, Whatley does not merely “assess” the ability of small farms to compete; instead, he provides a set of recommendations to help them compete.

Answer choice (D): Hopefully, you were able to eliminate this answer choice relatively quickly, because CMCs are not the main point of the passage. Furthermore, it is unclear whether they are necessary for the success of small farming.

Answer choice (E): The author never explicitly discusses what effect, if any, the adoption of Whatley’s methods would have on farming, let alone suggest that it will eventually threaten the dominance of large-scale production.
 Lsat_student2019
|
Hi,

I was in between A and B but ultimately chose B because of the word "thrive" in A. I thought his recommendations were what allowed small farms to survive and not really on the current mode which would bankrupt them. I read the explanation for B, but I thought that the statement is accurate because the first line of the passage "The prevailing trend in agriculture toward massive and highly mechanized production, with its heavy dependence on debt and credit as a means of raising capital..." I think I may have overthought this simple problem but would appreciate more info, thanks!!
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi LSAT Student,

The key with any Main Point question, whether RC or LR, is to have a strong Prephrase. After reading a passage or stimulus, you should be clear what the conclusion of the argument is; if you're not, go back and take a closer look before diving into the answer choices, as it's very easy to become confused or attracted by a wrong answer choice. For RC passages, look to the first and last paragraphs, specifically the end of both, as that's where most MPs lie.

Here the main point is present in the last sentence of both the first and last paragraph; it's effectively stated in general terms in the first paragraph and restated in slightly more specific terms in the final paragraph. From these two sentences, it's clear that Whatley believes his plan will make small farms competitive with larger corporate ones. Only answer choices (A), (C) and (E) come close to the scope of this Prephrase, and of those, (E) is far too strong (nothing suggest that small farms that utilize Whatley's methods will destroy large commercial farming), (C) is far too weak (Whatley does more than "assess the situation"), and (A) works as it encapsulates the idea that small farms that adopt Whatley's plan will continue to do well, even if "thrive" is a little bit stronger than "profitable" and "viable."

Hope this clears things up!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.