LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=13642)

The correct answer choice is (E)

This question refers to the author’s discussion. in the third paragraph, of Dunham’s series of research projects that dealt with Caribbean dance forms with a particular focus on African culture.

Answer choice (A): The passage provides no such comparison, so this cannot be the right answer choice.

Answer choice (B): The author specifically mentions that the technique had long been a part of the traditional dances of certain Caribbean and Pacific-island cultures as well, so this choice fails the Fact Test and should be ruled out of contention.

Answer choice (C): It was Dunham who helped to bring the technique to North American modern dance, and the author doesn’t mention any other shared characteristics.

Answer choice (D): Dunham brought the technique to North America; the dance forms that she studied had not already influenced popular North American dance.

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice. The dance forms she studied were Caribbean but were influenced by African culture, and it was this influence on which Dunham focused.
 chian9010
|
I don't understand why the answer is E not C.

I selected C because in the third paragraph the last sentence mentioned that "Dunham incorporated them into new forms of ballet." In addition, in the last paragraph, it also indicates that Dunham combined the caribbean dance with modern dace styles she learned in Chicago. The "ballet" she created was the first North American dances to rectify the exclusion of African American themes from the medium of modern dance.

I actually deleted E completely as from the third pararaph, it indicates that the Caribbean dance is originally from African (it is not influenced by African but origins from African. I don't think "influence" and "origin" have the same meaning tho.
 Francis O'Rourke
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Chian,

It is critical to consider the chronology and that the author gives us in the last two paragraphs of the passage.

Beginning in 1935, Dunham began to research "traditional Caribbean dance forms." At most two years later, Dunham was adapting these Caribbean dance forms "for use in theatrical performance" and combining them with modern Chicago styles.

It is possible that Dunham was proficient enough in Caribbean dance in 1935 to incorporate them into ballet. However, the earliest that we can prove that she did this was 1937. Furthermore, we can be certain that she did not instantaneously begin to study these forms and employ them in North American ballet; doing so must have taken her some time.

Since we have no evidence for Caribbean dance's integration into or similarity with North American ballet prior to 1937, answer choice (C) is unproven.

Answer choice (E) is supported by the first sentence of the third paragraph.

The words 'origins' and 'influence' can take on different meanings in some circumstances. For example, the oil in your car can have its origin in a country, but none of us would claim that the oil was influenced by the culture of that country.

The context in which the author uses origins in this passage indicates an influence. Since traditional Caribbean dance originated in "African culture" it is appropriate to describe that dance as having been influenced by some African traditions.

Although you are correct that there are differences between origins and influences, remember to look for the context in which the author uses language. Focusing too narrowly on definitions of terms might keep you from seeing the larger picture.

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have any other questions! :)

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.