LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Passage Discussion

Paragraph One:

The first sentence introduces the central focus of the passage: why mirrors reflect objects the way that they do. In response to the question of why things appear from left to right in a mirror, physicists reply with the “field-of-site explanation”: images in a mirror are reversed around a vertical axis because that is the way people normally rotate their field of sight.

Paragraph Two:

The second paragraph presents a different explanation of what mirrors do offered by other physicists, who say that images are actually reversed from front to back. The author offers the example of a chair in a mirror, whose reflection can be visualized in the imaginary space “inside” the mirror. The author notes that this explanation is based on the false premise, treating the reflection as though it were three-dimensional.

Paragraph Three:

The front-to-back explanation, the author says, is appealing to many because we are generally more concerned with what we see (or our “mental construct” of those things), for example, than with the way we see them. While our senses usually provide reliable perceptions, though, mirrors are different; they are designed to give the appearance of three dimensions within a two-dimensional object, and they provide a rare example of something on which we seldom focus (rather, our eyes focus on the imaginary space within the mirror).

Paragraph Four:

Part of the appeal of the front-to-back explanation is that it satisfies science’s inclination to consider phenomena in a vacuum, separate from the observer (in contrast, the field-of-site explanation explains mirrors with necessary reference to what is done by the observer). The problem, says the author, with attempting to describe mirrors without reference to their observers is that the observer is an inherent part of a discusses of images and appearances.

VIEWSTAMP Analysis:

The Viewpoints expressed in this passage are those of “Physicists” who support the field-of-sight explanation, another group of “some physicists” who offer the front-to-back explanation, and the author, whose perspective appears in the final paragraph of the passage.

The Structure of the passage is as follows:
  • Paragraph 1: Introduce the central question of why mirrors reflect things the way they do, and the field-of-sight explanation provided by some physicists.

Paragraph 2: Present other physicists’ alternative perspective on what mirrors do, referred to as the front-to-back explanation, with discussion of the appearance of a chair to exemplify the false premise based on imaginary space “within” the mirror.

Paragraph 3: Discuss the limited success of the front-to-back explanation, which is based on the false premise that space exists within a mirror, a premise that seems believable because we can generally rely on such mental constructs—point out that mirrors are the exception, designed to make two dimensional objects look three-dimensional.

Paragraph 4: Reference the fact that the front-to-back explanation is partly motivated by physicists’ desire to separate the observer from the phenomenon. Assert that questions about mirrors cannot be fully answered without considering the perspective of the observer.
The Tone of the passage is scholarly and appears well-reasoned.

The Argument presented in the passage is made by the author, who asserts in the final paragraph that any such explanation must consider the perspective of the observer.

The author’s Main Point is to present two explanations of mirrors provided by physicists, and to assert that any complete explanation of the phenomenon must include consideration of what mirrors do and of what happens when observers look at them.
 15veries
|
I don't understand what I just read...
Could you give me some summary of each paragraph?
I completely got lost...
I thought usually in the first paragraph, the author talks about something the author disagrees with and in later paragraphs, the author will discuss what he/she really believes.
But it sounds like the author actually agrees with the theory discussed in the 1st paragraph? Or did I misunderstand something...
I feel RC def. becomes more difficult...are all 70s RC like this?
How should I prepare for passages like this one?

Thank you
 Claire Horan
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
"I thought usually in the first paragraph, the author talks about something the author disagrees with and in later paragraphs, the author will discuss what he/she really believes."

Your are right that what you've described is a common pattern for the reading comprehension passages, but if they were all like that, the LSAT would be too easy! Instead of assuming the structure that a passage will follow, mark words that show tone, shifts in viewpoint, and the other components of VIEWStamp. Paraphrase each paraphrase after you have read it before continuing on to the next one. Try to enjoy the passages as much as possible, even though they may seem boring!

I know you asked for a summary of each paragraph, but the goal is for YOU to practice and improve your score...If you attempt a summary of each paragraph, an instructor will let you know if your summary is accurate.
 snowy
|
Would it be safe to infer that the author agrees with the field-of-sight explanation, given the passage as a whole and also the way the author refers back to it in 47/48 as an explanation that doesn't have the same flaw as the front-to-back explanation? Or should we still be wary of making that assumption that the author agrees with it, rather than using it to provide a baseline to compare the other explanation to?
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Snowy,

Yes, that would be a well-supported inference to make. As the field-of-sight explanation is not criticized and fits within the two necessary criteria given in the last paragraph, it's reasonable to conclude that the author believes it to be the superior/correct explanation to the question of why images in mirrors are reversed.

Hope this helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.