LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Setup and Rule Diagram Explanation

This is a Pure Sequencing, Identify the Templates game.

Because Pure Sequencing is generally easy to handle for most test takers, this was an excellent way to begin the Logic Games section of the September 2014 LSAT.

The game scenario establishes that five instrumental pieces must be ordered in a sequence. Because there are no ties, this is a Balanced game. The following linear scenario underpins the sequence:

PT73_Game_#1_setup_diagram 1.png

Although Pure Sequencing games involve relationships that are relative and not precisely fixed, a linear diagram can help us represent inferences that could result from the application of the rules.
The first rule establishes the following sequence:

• ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... S :longline: V

The second rule establishes two possibilities for the way in which we can order R, S, and T:

PT73_Game_#1_setup_diagram 2.png

Take a moment to understand precisely what this rule entails: T must appear either earlier or later than both R and S. In other words, T cannot appear between R and S, and the following two sequences would be impossible:

• ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... R :longline: T :longline: S
    ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... S :longline: T :longline: R

Similarly, the third rule establishes two possibilities for the sequence of R, T, and W:

PT73_Game_#1_setup_diagram 3.png

As with the previous rule, here W must appear either earlier or later than both R and T. So, we can never place W between R and T, and the following two sequences cannot be true for any solution of the game:

• ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... T :longline: W :longline: R
    ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... R :longline: W :longline: T

At this point, we would normally attempt to combine the rules in order to produce a sequencing chain. This step is somewhat complicated by the fact that two of the three rules do not mandate a fixed sequence of variables; instead, they only give us optional, alternating sequences. As a result, producing a single sequencing chain would be impossible—a realization that prompted many test-takers to immediately move on to the questions. Unfortunately, their setup would be lacking without a more thorough idea of the relationships that connect the five variables in the game.

The best approach is to link the rules together, even if such linkage would produce multiple sequencing chains. Essentially, this would be a Templates-based approach, because the chains you make will represent an exhaustive range of solutions. The easiest way to begin would be to combine the first two rules as both of them restrict the placement of S, and the first rule is the easiest to work with. When combined, these rules produce the following two sequences:

PT73_Game_#1_setup_diagram 4.png

Now all we need to do is examine the impact of the last rule on each template: W must appear either earlier, or later, than both R and T. In each template, the relationship between T and R is already known, which makes the implication of the last rule easy to see. In Template 1, W must be placed either before T (and therefore before R), or else after R (and therefore after T):

PT73_Game_#1_setup_diagram 5.png

Similarly, in Template 2, W must be placed either before R (and therefore before T), or else after T (and therefore after R):

PT73_Game_#1_setup_diagram 6.png

In determining relationships between variables, do not let physical proximity on the diagram influence your evaluation. For instance, in Templates 2B, V appears to the right of R, but there is no direct relationship between R and V. It is possible, for instance, that in that template V is second and R—third. The key in Pure Sequencing games is to avoid making unwarranted assumptions such as this.

Thus, we arrive at the following final setup for this game:

PT73_Game_#1_setup_diagram 7.png
PT73_Game_#1_setup_diagram 8.png

While a Templates approach requires an initial investment of time and may appear daunting at first, it is ultimately advantageous in this game. First, the game contains seven questions, rather than, say, five. The higher the number of questions, the more benefit you can expect to derive from these templates. Second, consider the alternative: without the four sequencing chains outlined above, your setup would be practically nonexistent. Yes, you can still attack the questions armed with a solid understanding of the rules alone, but this “plug-and-chug” approach would be terribly inefficient and ultimately take much longer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 lsatretaker
|
Hello.

I bombed this one when I took the practice test. However, I usually nail the first game, pure sequencing, and do OK on games sections overall. The problem is that I attempted to write out the templates as "templates" instead of the sequencing trees. I.e., for the first one, I wrote out W----T----S/R----S/R/V----R/V. I thought for sure that's what the game was looking for. However, I didn't realize until after I was midway through the game that my templates were useless because the number of possibilities is still very high and my templates afforded me basically no useful information.

I reworked the whole section today, and easily got all the questions correct in time (I realize I'm a bit biased because I already did it) just by drawing out the trees. My question: How do we know when a "template" game, which I correctly identified, is not really a "draw out the full templates" game. I can just see myself on the test thinking that I've got the game in the bag because it's a template game, write out as many possibilities as I can, then again realize there are way too many outcomes for it to be useful.

Thanks!
 Brook Miscoski
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
lsatretaker,

Looking at what you've done, I think you went for Identify the Possibilities (assigning the 5 variables to 5 spaces instead of letting them float) and then backed off--but that's not how you get a template.

What I did was to notice that the T-RS RS-T rule can be written two different ways (it can flip) and that the W has to go on one side or the other of it (because of the W-RT RT-W rule), and doing that (adding in the S-V) gave me 4 templates. I didn't force it, it just ended up that way.

This is because I always approach a game as if there isn't an opportunity to Identify the Templates or Identify the Possibilities until space restriction and rule overlap indicate otherwise, and then I work on loose Templates (not Possibilities) until the Templates themselves appear very limited, in which case I may try Possibilities.

This way there's a natural progression and your Template doesn't end up being a failed Possibility. You preserve the flexibility you need to attack the game.
 lsatretaker
|
Ah, okay. Thank you for the explanation. I read the penultimate chapter of the Games Bible last night, so I completely understand what you're talking about re. templates vs possibilities.
 hhaugen@ualberta.ca
|
Hello!

So I also bombed this portion of the test, though I got very close to the correct trees. I can't seem to figure out in the diagram 1a and 1b why there is no connecting line between T--W, as the rule is either W --R, W--T, the diagram communicates to be that T MUST be before R, which is not communicated in the rules. Am I missing something?

Likewise, in 2a and b, why are W--T not connected? and again inferred that T R has a recognizable relationship?

Thank you !

Hannah
 Beatrice Brown
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Hannah! Thanks so much for your question.

Templates 1A and 1B are based off of the situation in which T is earlier than both R and S. The third rule is that W must be either earlier than both R and T or later than R and T. Without combining the rules, we don't know the relationship between T and R in the third rule. But with templates 1A and 1B, because we know that T is earlier than R, when we add in W, we get either of the following chains:
W :longline: T :longline: R
T :longline: R :longline: W

A similar situation arises in templates 2A and 2B. These templates are based off of the situation in which T is later than both R and S. Again, without combining the rules, we don't know the relationship between T and R in the third rule. But with templates 2A and 2B, because we now know that T is later than R, when we add in W, we get either of the following chains:
W :longline: R :longline: T
R :longline: T :longline: W

To sum up, although without combining the rules we cannot know the relative ordering of T and R in the third rule, combining rules 2 and 3 and creating templates based off of the second rule allows us to determine the ordering of T and R in relation to W.

I hope this helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.