LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=7427)

GR, Main Point. The correct answer choice is (B)

This question asks for the main point of the passage, so an answer is prephrased in the ViewSTAMP
analysis above.

Answer choice (A): This choice deals with the protective doctrine discussed in the second half of the
passage, but this is not the main point and should thus be ruled out of contention in response to this
Main Point question.

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice. As discussed in the passage analysis, the
preservation of cultural property and knowledge cannot necessarily be achieved with simple broad
prohibitions and instead sometimes requires a different approach.

Answer choice (C): The author actually suggests that UNESCO could have helped Mali arrive at a
better outcome, so this choice fails the Fact Test, so this cannot be the main point of the passage.

Answer choice (D): This choice may have been appealing to those who read the last paragraph too
quickly. At the end of the passage, the author specifically mentions that if Mali had, with UNESCO’s
help, regulated excavations, they might not have been carried out as well as professional excavations
but that the outcome still would likely have been better than the looting that actually took place.

Answer choice (E): The author does not say that this idea does more harm than good in countries
like Mali, and this is certainly not the author’s main point.
 Cking14
|
Hi,

I chose answer choice (D) for this one because it covered more of what the author was saying about Mali. Answer choice (B) is the correct answer, but it appeared too broad to me. Can someone please explain?

Thanks!
Chris
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi,

That's a good question. Sometimes Main Point questions can be difficult to prephrase with precision, but in this case, the author's main point is basically that preservation of a culture’s antiquities is a very important issue, and that if broad prohibitions are not effective, regulation and education can help to ensure a better outcome than the one experienced in Mali. Answer choice (B) provides, as discussed in the passage, that the preservation of cultural property and knowledge cannot necessarily be achieved with simple broad prohibitions and instead sometimes requires a different approach.

Like you, many other students found answer choice (D) appealing as well, but the problem with that one is this: At the end of the passage, the author specifically mentions that if Mali had, with UNESCO’s help, regulated excavations, they might not have been carried out as well as professional excavations but that the outcome still would likely have been better than the looting that actually took place.

I hope that's helpful! Please let me know whether this is clear--thanks!

~Steve
 Cking14
|
Got it. Yeah, (B) was one of the first I eliminated, but thanks for explaining. I didn't consider the last part of the passage as a main point per se, so that is why I crossed it off.

I'm trying to remember context when I do these. Thanks!
 kcho10
|
Hi,

Would it be correct to say that E is potentially an opposite answer choice? I am interpreting the passage as saying that the author wishes the UNESCO doctrine was enforced sooner. And if that is the case, wouldn't that mean that the author thinks the UNESCO doctrine is actually helpful, and it was the timing, not the idea, that was the problem?

Thank you
 nicholaspavic
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi kcho,

I think you have a definite point about (E). It is somewhat of an opposite answer because of the argument starting at line 35. Well done and keep up the good work!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.