LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=14088)

The correct answer choice is (E)

In the first paragraph, the author introduced the view held by some critics, and specifically the Marcusian view, that companies use misleading advertising to create false needs in consumers and then pitch their products as the way to satisfy those needs, resulting in increasing profits for the companies at the expense of the consumers’ well being. Our prephrase is that the correct answer choice will describe this role played by the first paragraph.

Answer choice (A): This answer choice is incorrect because the first paragraph did not discuss the political and economic context of the Marcusian view. Instead, it just stated that view without providing the broader context.

Answer choice (B): While the first paragraph did reference false needs, it did not “outline the mechanisms” by which they originate.

Answer choice (C): In the first paragraph the author mentions the fact that mass market advertisers use manipulative techniques, but does not evaluate the psychological processes involved.

Answer choice (D): The author quickly transitions from mentioning “some critics” to focusing solely on Marcuse, and does not categorize Marcuse’s theories in relation to any other views.

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice because it properly identifies the primary role played by the first paragraph, consistent with our prephrase above.
 kcho10
|
Powerscore,

Thank you for all of your help so far. I know I've been asking so many questions :-D but your answers have been helping me so much. Thank you!

Can someone give an example of what 'categorizing a view' would look like in the context of this passage?

For answer choice D, it seems like it could be argued that Marcuse's theory could be categorized as the central view of some critics.

I understand that regardless, answer choice D is incorrect because of an exaggeration. I would just like to know for the sake of future questions that might use this type of description. Thank you!
 Claire Horan
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi kcho10,

I think you are asking, what would a paragraph look like if its main function was to "(D) describe the prevailing views among contemporary critics of advertising and categorize Marcuse’s theories in relation to those views."

That hypothetical paragraph could be something like:

There are two main prevailing camps of contemporary critics: the Pro-Aders and the Con-Aders. The Pro-Aders' view is that advertising helps people achieve their dreams. The Con-Aders' view is that advertising leads people to unhappiness. Marcuse's theory is more like that of the Con-Aders' view because when people feel their needs are unfulfilled they become unhappy.

Although some of these ideas are in the actual first paragraph, you will be able to see how the focus and function of the actual paragraph is different from the one I've written.
 willmcchez
|
I selected D as well.

Could the "prevailing views" portion of D also be used to prove the answer choice as incorrect? The paragraph discusses the views of "some" critics, not the "prevailing views," which I would take as the view of the majority of critics. Would it be safe to say that this alone is enough to disprove?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I think that's a perfect reason for eliminating answer D, willmcchez! Where did the concept of "prevailing views" come from, if we were to select this answer choice? Nowhere! A "purpose" question falls into the broad category of Must Be True questions, and cannot rely on new information that was not in the passage, as this answer does. Good work!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.